1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Peeling Powder Coat and Rust

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by tmr200, Dec 18, 2013.

1. tmr200

tmr200 Junior Member

Any other folks with Meyer plows having issues with the powder coat peeling off? I've had the plow for three season and all the truck side and plow side brackets are rusting. After the first year The dealer replaced the truck side mount figuring it was a manufacturing issue. (but told me in the future I should just paint it) Now year and half later it's all peeling off again.

Am I being too critical? The first time the truck had 6000 miles it now has 12,000.

Couple sample pictures attached

2. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

road salt eats everything.
    i just keep an eye on my plows and mounts, and clean and paint as needed.
  3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

After three seasons its bound to happen.
  4. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

My new Lot Pro started peeling and rusting half way through the first season. When I assembled it, I found sveral places where the paint was so thin on the black iron that the bare steel showed through. Its on the third season and has quite a bit of rust on the black iron now. After this season all the black iron is getting sandblasted and repowder coated. I used to do powder coating and this is the poorest quality powder coating that I have ever seen.
  5. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Powder coating is one of the worst things for protecting steel from road salt. It isn't that it is a poor barrier, but that it really doesn't bond very well to the steel, and is a lot less flexible than other kinds of coatings. The result is that at ANY imperfection where water can get to the metal, a little bit of time will have the powder coat actually lifting from that area in sheets, with the water travelling under it. Once the powder coat starts lifting a little, it actually accelerates the corrosion because it traps water under it.

If you want to protect plow steel, GALVANIZE it. You can paint it (or powder coat it) after its been galvanized, if you like.
  6. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Wow that looks way worse than my mount or plow after 3 years. I have a couple spots starting, where joints come together, etc, but I expect that to some extent, and surface rust isn't going to kill the plow. I use tranny fluid or fluid film on all the spots I see corrosion at the end of the year.

Tip: hook up warm water to an outside faucet, and wash the truck after you plow. If you drive the truck only to plow then park it, all that salt spray off the roads can't get washed off by rain, etc. It will eat the truck/plow apart. Takes 5 minutes, and it will help your truck immensely.

FWIW, I don't think that's powdercoat, I think it's paint.

I have a buddy that had a 2003 f250 that was rusted to hell with only 25k miles on it within 8-9 years. He didn't wash it. Got 11k trade in on what started as a 40k truck. So yeah, wash it after every storm if you can, your wallet will thank you.
  7. Stove

Stove Member

Should have gone with the BOSS!!!!!!Thumbs Up
  8. Fourtrax250R

Fourtrax250R Senior Member

I fluid film everything and haven't had a problem.