1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pedestrian overpass collapase

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Neige, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Neige

Neige Sponsor

2. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Same thing happened here in Detroit last fall.

Killed the driver.

3. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Read the comments below the story - it's good to see that dip chit political comments happen in other parts of the world also. Almost sounds as if there is a French vs English revolt going on up there.

4. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Sucks to be him. I'm guessing there will be a truck driver looking for a new job. Did you read in the comments where someone suggests that this could be "easily avoided" if we just install trip wires that activate a warning sign alerting the driver to stop in time? So let's see, how many millions of overpasses times several thousand per trip wire and sign device = $$$.$$$.$$$. Yeah, that sounds like an efficient use of tax dollars. NOT. How about the truck driver is smarter than a turnip? That wouldn't cost anything.

5. procut

procut Senior Member

Same thing happened here in Lansing, MI years ago when a trash truck that empties dumpsters drove under one with the "loader" portion raised in the air. Bad thing was I believe school had just got out and there were 2 or 3 kids on it. Can't remember if the kids died or not, this was probably close to 20 years ago.

6. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

I drive a hooklift and for the life of me, I can't understand how this happens. If you have a load, the truck would be extremely top heavy and drive like hell. If you are empty, how do you not notice that you don't have a hook staring at you in the rear view mirror, or not see the hoist raised out the back window in the mirror? Completely stupid. :sleeping:

7. NickSnow&Mow

NickSnow&Mow Senior Member

Wow sorry to hear that Paul, is Ryerson your son? I'm glad he's ok. Hope they don't come after the company or jack up the insurance. Hopefully they find a structural flaw in the bridge or something..... Actually now that I think about it do you mean he was the one driving or was he just asked to show them how it could happen?