1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

PB and Heat

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 2COR517, Jan 3, 2009.

1. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe you all know this, but thought I would share anyway. I've been fixing old rusty crap since I was about 8, so almost 30 years now. Just started using PB a few months ago. Been pretty impressed so far. I had to pull the spinner shaft off my Procaster this week. I had sprayed some PB on the nuts a couple of times over the previous days. One of the bottom nuts came off OK, I ruined a sawzall blade on the other. Started on the top. Wouldn't move. I remembered reading on another Forum to use heat. Put the MAPP gas torch on them, and kept spraying PB in the threads. After a couple of minutes I could see between the bolt and nut all the way around. Could have taken the nuts off with my bare fingers if they were not 500 degreees. Also sprayed a couple cans on the bed chain. Runs nice and smooth.

Happy wrenching.

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Good, now slather them in anti-seize and spray it with Fluid Film so you don't have to fight with them again.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I hear that.

4. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

I forgot all about that word. Thanks for re-introducing it to my vocabulary.

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Just don't slop it on, you would just be wasting it!

6. festerw

festerw Senior Member

No problem I live to serve, lol

I always figured better to have too much than not enough :)

7. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Pb is the shiznit. :drinkup:

And yes slather the silvery goop on graciously.

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Fluid Film works just as good if not better.

9. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Apples and Oranges my friend.

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Most of the solution was the heat. It burns the oxidation of the rust away which welds the threads together. The PB Blaster helped but heat did the trick. Another great use for heat is brake bleeder screws. I heat them till almost melting. Then I let them cool, I do it like 3 times. The screw turns right out. I replace them when I bleed the circuits. I have not broke off a bleeder screw for a long time after I started doing this.

11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

They both work as a penetrant......:dizzy:

12. sjosephlawncare

sjosephlawncare Senior Member