1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Payrates for Long Island snowplow drivers?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by PlowGood, Dec 17, 2015.

1. PlowGood

PlowGood Member

Trying to find out what's the "going rate" for snowplow drivers (pickup truck) who drive the company truck?

Suffolk county Long Island. Called as needed.
  2. danknight163

danknight163 Member

i pay my guys 15 hour
  3. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

25 minimum
  4. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldn't trust anybody to run my equipment who's willing to work for 15.00 per hour.
  5. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Yea the guys who get 15 can't even sweep the floor right
  6. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

25-30 depending on the guy
  7. chevyhauler

chevyhauler Senior Member

I pay my shoveler $12
    $30 an hour to drive my truck.
  8. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

$25 an hour
  9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

That's good money here.
  10. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction Senior Member

Do you have more of a problem with guys walking off or not showing with paying shovelers that little? I'd never get anyone to return after the first storm once they got their first check for less than $100.
  11. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

You've been plowing for over 7 years and you still don't know what you should be paid? :laughing::laughing:

Oh wait, you're not going to respond because all you do is start threads bitching about pointless ***** and never return to them.

Another plowsite $hithead :sleeping:
  12. chevyhauler

chevyhauler Senior Member

Not at all, but there are a few things to keep in mind.
    1) My shoveler is my helper with carpentry so he typically sees hammer swinging work besides snow in the winter.
    2) He really really likes being outside in the snow. Often he will be done with the sidewalks while I am still plowing and he will just stand there and watch me plow. I will pull over and ask if he wants to jump in and I will often get, "No, I am fine, Thanks."
    3) If it is only he and I then there is a much more personal connection (had him over the house for dinner and beers etc) so he is less likely to bag out at 2am.
    4) He has a full time job with a rotating retail schedule. With carpentry I schedule stuff where I need him, when I have him. Last week I didn't have him at all so I drove to Jerre's in PA, worked on my truck and framed/installed a new construction window. This week I have him two days so I am doing a commercial metal framing job while I have him. With snow, it is often after hours when he is not working and he has no problem working double and triple shifts to be with me and his full time.
    5) I stay away from doing large sidewalk stuff (such as condos) like it was the plague. Nothing against folks who do, obviously. The #1 reason is because of sidewalk crews. You need a bunch of them and they are outside for hours and hours so it sucks even more. My shoveler will be outside for a 1/2 hour or 45 minutes then hang in the truck for an hour (still getting $$). I have one commercial lot with no sidewalks. He will get out of the truck and open the 3 gates, then spend 1.5 hours in the truck with me. Gates are a PITA to open in deep snow so its worth it to me and he rides in comfort (heated leather) while getting paid.
    There have been times when I put a shoveler (obviously a trusted/trained one) behind the wheel of a backup truck and I pay them accordingly for the increased care/responsibility.
    So my plowing business is very different from a lot of others. It is small enough where some things are easier to manage.
  13. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Driver gets 30.00, and I cover meals also.
  14. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction Senior Member

When I saw $12 I assumed it was for guys in a sidewalk crew. I didn't think of someone driving with you. It sounds like he has it pretty good, and gets to sit as much as he works. I was thinking it was someone who would be stuck outside shoveling for hours on end.