1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Payment From Townships

Discussion in 'Government Property Snow Removal' started by Stan, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Stan

Stan Senior Member

What is the normal payment terms on your municipal? The way it works with a municipal I plow for is you receive a voucher on the 1st of each month from the previous month. Turn in your paperwork and wait. Been waiting for Decembers settlement and still no check. Getting a bunch of BS reasons and lies from a particular municipal here. Contract says 4-6 weeks. Seems like every year the duration between settlements are longer.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Property taxes were just do on the 15th now they have plenty of money to pay you!

3. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Yeah but that dont count according to them. If your 1 day late there is a 3% penalty. Last year some contractors did not get paid from Feb 2010 until June. Claimed they had to borrow money and hold a special meeting to do so. BUT this year they added an $18 snow note to the average household 2011 tax bill.

4. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Don't they have money budgeted for snow removal. i can understand the special meetings if they are over budget, but you should have at least gotten paid for December, or at least part of it up to their budgeted amount. I know you all got a lot of snow this year. Sounds like they are jacking you around. If they aren't within the terms of the contract, i'd let them know I won't be either during the next snowstorm...:salute:

My contract is payment within 5 days of the regular council meeting, which is the last Monday of the month. I just have to make sure to get them an invoice before the meeting and I get paid within a week. I screwed up and didn't realize they had moved the meeting up in Dec. due to holidays so i had to wait to get paid for Dec with Jan, but it was only a couple salt events so it wasn't too bad. Got a nice check the beginning of this month though...payup

5. Stan

Stan Senior Member

They are jacking all the sub contractors around! And lies to boot. Was told the paperwork was held up in finance 3 weeks ago. So I call finance and they said there are no vouchers for snow removal. Next I hear the vouchers were not even processed, I know this because they called me for some updated paperwork which was faxed right away. Several days later I ask to speak to the highway superintendent and left a msg to call me. Get a call from his assistant saying he was out for 2 weeks "can I help you". Told her the situation and again told me the vouchers were processed and held up in finance. So I ask how long..."at least several weeks". Told her not true, I received a call 3 days ago about updating some paperwork. After her stuttering she claims there are only 4 girls processing vouchers and they are behind. Needless to say "there's nothing I can do about it" What a crock of crap. Every year its taking longer to pay.
    Last season contractors did not get paid from Feb 2010 until June 2010. Plus the town added a snow note to property taxes at $18 per household for the current tax year.
    If your 1 day late paying property taxes they add a 3% penalty. Go figure.

6. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

my town said most of the same carp with the "they are broke crap" and the whole budget thing being spent for 2010, in my town the plowing done last feb and march was out of the 2010 budget hence that budget being spent. they told us when we handed in the bill for the dec storm there was gonna be a snow meeting feb 7, well there was and while waiting from dec to feb 7 they called us out 2 other times Feb 7 came they paid us for all 3 events. im not saying that how it will play out for you, but it is how it has paned out with our town last year and again this year.

7. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

This is why I don't do muni work anymore. Years back I had as many as 4 trucks on the town of "Crookhaven", was good for a while then they started all the upheaval and it went downhill fast. More $$ in commercial work anyway.

8. vinnys

vinnys Senior Member

Got a lot of guys here that are not to happy. Rumors flying all around. Heard sand and salt suppliers got paid, but not the subs. The big boy is on vacation untill the day after the next meeting. So we will not even be discussed untill the second week in March. Then a few more weeks for the $$$$$. BUT.... we should be paid for January, thats a different budget. Sometimes I feel like a mushroom...Kept in the dark and fed nothing but B.S.. Who knows what's going on.....We will see!!!

9. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Yeah he's on vacation for 2 weeks. In Jan I logged 365 hours total on all trucks so you can imagine my fuel bill. I' probably get paid in Nov on that. Of course all the town employees have been paid for overtime and salt suppliers have been paid otherwise they are shut off. In the middle of Jan they ran out of salt using straight sand. Geeez I wonder why???

What pisses me off is that they blatantly lie and push the blame to different departments. Wish everyone would band together with these lying crooks and simply not show up for an event or park in front of the big guys house in miller place.

10. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Would it be worth writing an anonymous letter to the editor in the local paper giving them some of the details? Maybe if some of the tax payers see the problems, things will get straightened out.

11. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Fuel for thought

12. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I do work for the school district, the county & state, never had a problem yet 4-6 weeks, ussally less. Schools 2nd year, state & county first but so far so good.

13. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

A school board we work for wires in 10 days and takes 2%, or pays in full in 45 days. In the 4 years we worked for them... they have always taken the discount and paid early. We have also worked for a few municipalities in the past and have always gotten paid Net 30, or quicker with a discount. Around here the municipal work is probably the only work where you are guaranteed you'll get paid.

14. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Right on the money. Sometimes municipal pays slightly less (not usually the case though in my experience - I find it's often a bit more), and sometimes you have to go through the drawn out political BS to get paid, but at least you usually actually get paid. Commercial work only pays more if you can actually collect....

The best way to get a municipality to get their act together is to get the taxpayers fired up. The newspaper editorial might not be a bad idea...

15. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

Islip is paying around 45-50 days.

16. Stan

Stan Senior Member

What are they paying for a 1 ton dump 4x4 w plow and sander?

17. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

A guy I spoke to during the last big storm, who was pushing for Islip, had a brand new F350 CrewCab 4x4 diesel pickup with an 8.5' Western, said he was getting $74.80/hr. I don't know if they do it like Brookhaven where its based on a combo of weight/type of plow/2 or 4 wd/gas or diesel, but should give you an idea.

18. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Not too bad. Everything with tob is based and registrations, 4 wd, plow, spreader.
    Example for simple numbers purpose, not exact rate:
    $50 for trk
    $5 for plow
    $3 for spreader

This would add up to $58 per hour. However they screw you and say you can only do one or another. In other words the rate would be either $55 or $53 per hour.

19. gmcdump97

gmcdump97 Junior Member
    from CT

the borough i sub for is paid in full. checks kept coming in every couple of weeks. 164 total hours

20. Stan

Stan Senior Member

NICE! one truck?