1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Paying your driver and shoveler

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by JeepPlow18, Oct 11, 2008.

1. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

I have two guys that I know well and they are good friends. Im paying them to help me plow and shovel this year for the first time. How much do you guys pay your people? Just so I can get a general price. Since this is the first year im paying help and im not sure how to gauge it. Thanks in advance for your inputs. Mike

2. IDOCTORTREES

IDOCTORTREES Senior Member
    from MONTANA

plow driver 20-30 shoveler 15-17 plus 1.5 for all overtime

3. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Thats about the range I was thinking. Very reasonable. Thanks for your input.

4. Indy

Indy Senior Member

I have a buddy here that pays his drivers and shovel guys at the end of each event, cash and 1099's em for his payroll, it seems to work on getting guys to show up (the other hard part)

Just some info you might want. Good luck

5. IDOCTORTREES

IDOCTORTREES Senior Member
    from MONTANA

You cannot 1099 or pay them in cash when they are your employees using your equipment, receiving job assignments from you. They are not a sub contractor, they are viewed as an employee and you are still liable.

6. Indy

Indy Senior Member

true, I should have paid more attention to the post, Thanks Doc:salute:

7. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

true, but you wouldnt even believe the number of LARGE companies that do it anyway , guys that have 50 shovler on staff. that are ll collecting UNEmployment, or so i have heard

i personally make them sign up to work thru a temp agency , it just works better , they get covered, they can use my equiptment (yes we checked) ..taxes, so it works ok

thats for the guys that dont work dirrectly for me in the summer, winter help only

8. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

shoveler needs a least $25 per hour and the plower $10-20....

9. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Thanks again guys. Very helpful information:salute:

10. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

If I were a shoveler.....I'd be rich!!! lol payup

11. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Yea thats what I was going to say. A bit too much haha. If they were just acquaintances and not good friends then I would definitely not be paying them that much.

12. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Save yourself a lot of trouble and future headaches and dont work with any of your friends. The bigger guys on this website will agree. Working with friends is a ticking time bomb. Never forget you heard that here first, on Plowsite.com..... ;-)

13. Jay brown

and you would have a bad back and hemroids....lol

14. Jay brown

how do you get a guy out of bed at 4:30 in the AM to shovel walks for 4-8 hours at $15/hr?? am i doing something wrong......we are on a roofing job right now that pays my guys $40/hr and it's about 1/3 as hard as shoveling snow and the weather is a whole lot better.....just hard to get guys to work HARD for $15 in the dark and blowing snow..

15. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

My thoughts exactly.

16. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

Not in Buffalo. There are guys who jump at the chance to make $15 an hour to shovel snow. Let alone $15 dollars an hour to do anything. Our job market around here generally does not pay very well. On the flip of that you don;t need to make $100k a year to have a good life either. When we have bad storms during football season the Bills pat guys $10 an hour to shovel out the stadium. There is always a surplus of guys that show up to do it.

17. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

that's very very true. honestly, the way i structure it is so my guys plow and operate snowblowers, each and every one of them including myself. The range of pay for me depends on years plowing with me, value and responsibility. generally speaking my range is 13 to 19 / hour on the books.