1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Paying subs $40.00 per hour.....really?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BUFF, Oct 23, 2012.

1. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I came across this posted on Denver C-list, after cost and etc..... you'd be better off flipping burgers. This smells like a National outfit is looking for sucker.

40per hr.jpg

2. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

Sounds to me like a smart business man running an ad. He will get all his spots filled faster then most will get their snow season filled with signed contracts. It's sad but true. One thing I learned. No matter how low the price is... Their is always someone that will take the account. Look at USM. Them guys are making a killing off of guys. And every year their is always a new team of fresh guys that just got a plow truck to take over for the guys that are still waiting for payment.

3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I couldn't agree with you more, I don't have to worry about this type of thing in my area, yet. What bothers me is guys like this do play into the rates in that market area and it will eventually spread out-word into mine and it will become full of guys turned lowballer's.

4. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

John please dont flame me, but subs here with min a 3/4 and an 8ft blade are getting 60, and thats in Boston... Seems about right to me considering COL in that location. no?

5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Yes rates are lower out here but not that low. Larger but local Landscape outfits are paying $65-70 per hour for a 3/4t with a 8ft with $1m of liability coverage.

6. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

$60.00 is low but $40.00 is a down right slap in the face. :nod:

7. ducaticorse

from we

Well, playing devils advocate, the ad isnt asking for an HD truck, a specific blade, or liability. They may be getting around ins by adding the op as an employee at min wage, and paying a "rental fee" for the truck itself. Problem solved.

8. PatrickC

PatrickC Senior Member

There have been a few requiring 4 mill in insurance tough to break even sometimes, then some are 30 day net which usually means you get paid at 40 to 5O day mark .

9. ducaticorse

from we

But I agree 40 sucks.

10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Thats not bad I hired a father and son We had 2ft snow 2years ago and I need extra plows I ask what they would need per hour Said $60 I said ok well end of day I wanted settle up with them I ask them how many hours told me 8hrs each Went to write the check out I ask make sure had price right $60 each The father said no $60 for both
    So I got 2 plow trucks for $60 per hour Which to me thats all they was worth they had no clue how to plow snow

11. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

WOW!! I got to find me a couple subs this year for them prices! payup

12. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Subs like that you don't want, that don't know how to plow. I did that once, it took them 3x as long to plow lots, clients called up screaming, shovel crews called up laughing at the "entertainment" had to redo all the work. I ended up paying them what would amount to what I would pay a decent sub (not the 3x they wanted), just to be rid of them. It simply isn't worth the headache

13. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Guys try living in my area! Tough to get 40-45 let alone paying guys 40. Lost a State contract this year to a member on here, a supposed "friend" who said a few times "I'll never bid on your stuff". He left 40k on the table on a 3 year contract! Truck prices had to be in the high 30's low 40's. On a side note....KARMA's a ***** Mike! With who I'm hooked up with plowing we could put you out of business!

14. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Very true I did it once thats it They didnt push there trucks to my standards They poke around

The subs pretty much stayed with me In one big Lot I gave them half of the lot clean I cleaned the other half My 9.6MVP w/wing out push 2 8ft plows and I even had help them finish there half

Last year they came ask If I need help I told them nope only need help in 2ft snow so hope we dont get that again LOL

15. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Friend of mine plowed for a guy for a number of years and lately bought his own plow and got some new accounts. His old employer approached him about subbin and offered to pay for fuel and 25 bucks an hour!! :dizzy:

16. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a feeling I know of who you are talking about. My only question is how the hell do you leave $40k on the table? At that point he should quit while he is behind.

17. JD Hernandez

JD Hernandez Junior Member

Hey guys,

Any of you have experience in not getting paid by a company you were subbing for?

Still haven't got paid from March and April invoices, we have a subcontractor agreement stating 30days?

What should I do?

-Thanks

18. ducaticorse

from we

Lol, small claims court? March and April? Are you serious?

19. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Well your fist mistake is letting this go for so long, I hope for your sake you have documentation that saying 30days and a way to prove there was a service call made.

Assuming you have approached them about the delay in payment and they've told you to piss off it's time to lawyer up, put a lien on them and seek restitution that includes your attorney fees.

20. procut

procut Senior Member

Idk, subs just don't get paid that much. Around here subs usually get $45.00 / hour for straight and maybe $50.00 with a Vee. One of the other outfits around here was paying $35.00/hour last I heard.

I know it's not enough to barely cover costs, but there is a whole group of guys that usually line up to work for that. I think its becasue guys who are used to making $10-$15 an hour start hearing $45 - $50 an hour and start going nuts. Plus, lots of guys line up each year to becasue they all want big plows for their trucks that they're so proud of and think snow plowing is fun; there more worried about looking cool than making money.