1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

paying loader sub seasonal?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by bullit340, Oct 23, 2015.

1. bullit340

bullit340 Member
    from Mass

I have been paying a loader with a 12' pusher a set seasonal price for years. It has worked out ok. It usually averages out to be 140-160/ hr over a season depending on snowfall amounts. Now he is looking for a 500/ month raise. Seems kinda steep to me. I am able to lease and put my own guy in the machine for about the same money after the raise. If I could even get a snow rental now at this point of the season. Would you guys keep it in house or sub it?

Have you found it better to pay a sub hourly?
    The downfall is there is a big piece of equip sitting there so I am sure there would need to be some sort of retainer

Have you guys found it to work out better seasonal?

2. Turbs3000

Turbs3000 Junior Member
    from Midwest

We prefer to pay the sub the same way we get paid. Either per service, or seasonal.

Are you passing liability on to him? Any surcharges if the winter is better or worse then normal?