1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Paying Helpers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Hambrick & Co., Jan 11, 2008.

1. Hambrick & Co.

Hambrick & Co. PlowSite.com Addict

I have one guy that helps me from time to time, are any of you paying your employees in cash or is it just strictly check from a business account? I don't want to 1099 him if I have to but I also don't want to get in any tax trouble. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mike

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have a friend who comes out and helps me out and I just pay him cash. He is a teacher and over the holidays and he had a few weeks off. I would not worry if it is just for one person. But if you are doing it alot that is not a good idea... Just my opinion....

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

In Iowa you don't have to 1099 someone till they make over $600. You can pay cash and write that on taxes as "day labor".

4. santelikk

santelikk Member

hydro is correct.

IRS rules are that you can be paid in cash up to $600, if during the fiscal year you make more than $600 you must get a 1099.

5. Hambrick & Co.

Thanks for all the help.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Check from business account.
    1099 every year.

7. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

I guess you don't have work comp either?

8. montanag

montanag Member

I just wanted to add my $.02, since I'm descended from a line of CPA's. If someone is hopping in your truck with you and working according to hours that you determine, they should be on your payroll. 1099's are issued to independent contractors, meaning that you don't have an inordinate amount of control over how your helpers get the work done, when they start, when they stop, breaks, etc. People have gotten into hot water over this. I issue 1099's to guys with their own trucks, insurance, and business license. Anybody jumping in with you is an employee and you ought to be treating them as such, witholding taxes, paying worker's comp. Read up on state law since it varies. The Department of Labor and Industry should have literature on this topic. Just CYA!! good luck

Greg

9. montanag

montanag Member

Just one more question. Why don't you want to 1099 him. That benefits you because it serves evidence of an expense your business incurs. It also places the tax burden on your sub. Most contractors pay a small percentage for every $1000 of subcontractor work on their commercial liability, but it usually ends up substantially less than worker's comp or payroll liabilities. Maximize deductions unless you like subsidizing the government more than keeping cash for yourself!!

10. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

if it ain't over i think $600 you don't have to 1099 them but i don't know b'cause my CPA takes care of that

maybe it would be a good Q' fo your'e CPA because there probably is not alot of people on here who want to divulge alot of information in fear of getting in trouble (they think the IRS reads these forum's :rolleyes:) LOL

EDIT: i am sorry guys: when i clicked on the thread it had no replies( my freakin slow computer i guess) but when i posted i seen that several replied

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  11. Hambrick & Co.

I do not as I am the owner and technically the only employee thus far. Last I checked an owner can not claim workers comp against their own company. I am covered by my full time job.

12. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

you probably alreay know this but you may want to get WC if you have any helpers. if the helper doesn't sue you his family will. i just had a employee spend 7 days in the hospital and has been off work for 6 weeks so far because he barely stepped on a nail and his big toe got infected. how much will that bill be?????? i'm guessing at least $30-40,000

13. timewarp

timewarp Junior Member
    from mass

maybe some more help?

If he is plowing for you alot have him be a sub contactor. The only thing is he using your plow becarefull with insurance. If he has his own plow, then subc is the way to go in my book.
    The other responses are correct, but pay with cash, then with check.(1200) And if he is your bud then a little cash extra, he won't say a thing.

Just a thought,
    time warp

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  14. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

My guys get first 600 as day labor/ per year, after that on the books (I have comp, etc through payroll co.). This is for shovelers, two of my drivers (brother & friend) want a large check at end of season (they both have full time jobs & $ 100 here & there disappears, 1 or 2 grand they can do somthing with), his friend was going to use it for a deck, last year my brother bought his girlfriend a ring.