1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

paying for downtime?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bigjeeping, Oct 4, 2006.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

Say you have 3 drivers and 3 shovelers on your work clock and you all stop by HQ (your home, your shop, your enclosed trailer), for some hot cocoa and some chow before starting up again. Do you keep them all on the clock for a quick 15-min break? A few of these could easily add up to hundreds of $$$.

What occasions make you start/stop the clock? How do you keep track?

-Just trying to be a good employer
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

The clock stops when they go home.If they are reliable it's worth it. It's better to pay someone to eat they pay someone who doesn't show up. You know what I'm saying?
  3. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

On the clock. If my guys need a break or time for a nap, food to refuel anything they need they get. That's why when I call them at 3am they are in a nice warm bed getting some zzzzzz and the phone rings or when its middle of the day they drop everything and come running. . They count on me to do my job as the boss and let them have a life till i need them, then look out they come every time because Iam not a penny pincher. Its a win win for everybody.A refreshed worker is much better at the end of a 16 hour day or all niter if they get some down time.My 2 cents.....
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i agree with the others. however i would stop the clock for a one hour break at a resturant.
  5. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Agree with everyone else & Jay.
    Working early morning shifts into late at night deserves some breaks, and by keeping them on the clock lets them know that you appreciate what they do. If they are screw-ups thats a different story. Take 'em out for a quick bite to eat or a coffee and let the time clock stop when the truck returns to the shop. I think showing employees you're a nice guy, they will in turn respect you and the equipment.

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

I try to buy my guys breakfast when possible. I think its a little thank you for there help.
  7. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

I also agree with all. Just think of it as insurance. Give them breaks for warm up s naps etc. Atleast there not so tired or out of body fuel to keep there heads straight. If it isn't straight your equiptment maybe damaged alot more. My 2 cents
  8. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

They are out there in the cold, in the middle of the night for hours on end. Personally, I wouldn't think twice of taking them to a resteraunt and buying them dinner. Especially a small - medium size company.

If you can't afford to pay them for 15 minute breaks, maybe you should do without them and do all the shoveling yourself.

Believe me, treat your employees good and they will keep coming back.

Not only that, but most places it's the law to give your employees breaks.
  9. joe b

joe b Junior Member

I Have found a sandwich goes a long way in any business. It's a nice gesture for good help. It's also tax deductable. So , ask for the check and the receipt. don't forget to say thanks to the guys.

10. 2moresleeps

2moresleeps Senior Member
    from Ontario

Be thankful you have reliable guys out there doing YOUR work. I have guys that I pay for snow removal from the time I call them until I drop them off. Good help is hard to find and the $$$ you spend on their 15 minute breaks is a drop in the bucket compared to the $$$ you'll spend on chiropractors.
  11. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

Thanks for all the replies so far :nod:
  12. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I agree with everybody, take care of your guys and they will take care of you and your trucks.

Regards Mike
  13. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

buying coffee and dounts for your guys is the best money every spent.
  14. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

We plow a resturant at no charge and trade them the service for food after the storm. We buy all meals, reimburse for coffee, power drinks what ever they want. Why worry about a few dollars when they give us days and nights of their lives. They are also payed from the time they get called out till they return home.
  15. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

yeah my guys stay on the clock all the time and sometimes get a meal or two and always coffee especially for those snowmen out shoveling
  16. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Glad to see so many people out there taking care of there employees. Speaking from experiance there are people out there taking advantage of there workers. Too many.
  17. go plow

go plow Senior Member

i tell people to take breaks !!! in the summer its water breaks, and in the winter its coffee or just pull over and take a cat nap... think of it this way, is money worth having to call some ones wife to tell them that you over worked their husband and he fell asleep at the wheel and hit a telephone pole ?? a few things to remember. treat you workers, pay your workers, and dont tell them to do anything that you wouldnt do yourself.. and you will get hard work and respect from them....
  18. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I agree, pay your guys. I let them stop for a coffee or break or whatever they need. As much as possible (if we can coordinate our stops) I will purchase meals. We usually stop the clock for half an hour if we meet for supper (even if it takes 45 mins or an hour) but then I always pay for the meal.