1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Paying Drivers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TommyMac, Jan 17, 2010.

1. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

How do you guy's pay your plow drivers....10-99 or payroll or cash under the table.....

2. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Employees are though a payroll service and subs are cut a check directly but 1099'd at the end of the year... up front and honest is ALWAYS the best way

3. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

What do you pay your guys

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How many guys do you have?

5. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i think it all depends on the employee and there situation in your company

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Icey makes them an offer they can't refuse!

7. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

I dont have any guy's....I drive for a guy who's playing games with me getting paid, he owe's me 53hrs pay & I haven't seen a penny....

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How long ago did you plow? What is the pay cycle supposed to be?

9. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

wesportwesport

10. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

You should get all your rates in writing and on a contract before you work and that should outline payment cycles and every detail you can think of. That's what we do with our drivers. In IL we have to 1099 all drivers due to blagojovich in bed with Insurance in 2008. Employees get around 30/hr during storms and around 15/hr during regular hours depending on their level of skill.

11. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

Last time I plowed was 1/3/10, he owe's me for all the hrs though, starting from 12/5/09 to 1/3/10....Well there's no really set pay cycle, last year he held my hrs till we got back to work in the spring, well needless to say I never got called in all summer, because of lack of work he say's.....Now this guy decided to pay my health insurance with my hrs plowed last season over $2,000 worth & not tell me....I called him up & said that took ball's to spend someone else's money on insurance with out telling me...I'm in a tight spot though because I've been laid off 1 year now & need the plowing money, but I aint doing this **** for free :gunsfiring:

12. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

Damn dude can I plow for you....I get $18 an hr for driving a tri-axle dump that makes $120 an hr

13. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

$120/hr for a straight truck??

*Dayum*...

14. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

sounds like this guy is ripping you off, time to make him commit to a contract, good luck

15. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

$120 tri-axle dump with an 11' plow....Mass-Highway rate

16. Westhardt Corp.

*OK*...that makes sense. I was thinking just as a straight dump truck, hence my "WTF?!"

Maybe I should put a plow on my semi, and an auger insert in the back. How many lane miles you think I can run with about 24 tons of salt??

:laughing:

17. cplmac

cplmac Senior Member
    from Dundee

I only have one driver and I pay him $35/hr, I pay him cash and I pay him usually within two days of the end of the event. I'm paying him cash because he is a friend and I don't want to slam him with a 1099 at the end of the season. I figure paying the taxes on my end for that money is a nice perk for him and it's not really that much money in the end anyhow. I've seen guys get hit with 1099's out of the blue putting them on the hook for several thousand dollars worth of taxes they were not expecting to be accountable for.

18. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I plow for R.I. They still haven"t sent out any checks yet.He may not have got his check yet.They should be here soon though.You should talk to him and make sure he isn"t going to try to spend your cash for you again this year.

19. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

:laughing:....About 18 lane miles, that's how Mass-Highway does it, we run 1-10.2cu.yd. & 1-12 cu yd combo for 18 miles which is about 22 ton.....It's theMass-Highway way, salt the ever lovinshit out of eveything

20. Westhardt Corp.

Holy cr@p, you're not kidding.

/hijack