1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Paying a sub for salting

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Ipushsnow, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Have a guy that wants to sub out to me, which is something I have never done before. I know what hourly rates are around here for plowing, but he has a v-box and I figured I might as well have him salt the lots he plows. He will be using my salt. My question is if I am paying him $75.00 per hour for plowing, what do I pay for him salting? A lot that takes an hour to plow and he makes $75 on would only take 5-10 minutes to salt and at the $75 per hour rate he would only get like $10, that doesn't seem right and I don't think he would go for it. Half the profit on the salt maybe?

Thank you in advance oh wise and learned veterans.

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Why not just pay him for plowing AND salting the lot? Say $85-$90 for both.

3. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

What do you do then when you salt and don't plow?

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If we sub out salting we pay around $50/ton spread.

5. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I know a few guys that just pay by the hour.

6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

you are going to have to check his lots anyway just spread them yourself

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

A good sub doesn't need ckecked in on. JMO

8. cretebaby

Good is the Key word

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Yes , like I have a good wife. LOL

10. cretebaby

11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Hourly or maybe a percentage of what you charge.

12. GreenAcresFert

GreenAcresFert Senior Member

I sub some salt work from a company but use my own salt. I would say if you charge $100 to the customer and he uses $50 worth of salt go 30/20 on the profit. Or if it varys quite a bit just tell him he makes x amount per ton spread, you'll know ow much he is spreading bc its your salt. Also, wouldn't worry to much on how he is doing if you have salted these lots in the past, you'll know if he is using enough or to much salt.

13. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i would go like $20 per ton spread,

lets think about it in depth ,

his cost Vs yours - his spreader = 4,000 at most

your loader - 15-20-30,000? your salt ? your up front cost, ? your risk ? your storage. are you taking the time to load him? are you paying his travel time between sites? how about to the pile and back ? so i personally dont see how its fair to you split the profit 50% - and im not sure what your charging for salt, but i bet theres not much profit to split the first place?

i persoanlly dont like subbing to guys that have spreaders on the back . Generally i think they are slower. Yes really good drivers can use the mirrors, but most ppl , (even if they are good) will still back up faster, and plow faster if they see out the back . They also go slower becasue now their truck is loaded down with salt, and they dont want to beat the heck out of it

liek JD said , good subs dont need their work checked... but , its your customer - i even sent a friend to check my work later in the day , a fresh set of eyes doesnt hurt, you also know if your getting ripped off.

So I would basicly Salt it all your self, if your gonna drive to check the lots, salting only takes a few mins time.

As some said, what do you do when there is 1 inch , and your not plowing? at least this way , you keep it simple, you salt 100% -

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree on the slower part, also spreader equiped trucks are not as safe IMO, but $20/ton spread that is a joke, 50 might be a little high but 20 is poverty low.