1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Paybacks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ipushsnow, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Ever have someone not pay, push snow back on a lot you plowed, or just generally tee you off? Lets hear some funny stories. Here's mine:

A few years back when I was plowing a health club with a skid steer, as an employee of another contractor. I have 50% of the lot done, and am windrowing the final area all to one side. All of a sudden this SOB in a Jeep pulls up and parks right in the middle of where I am plowing! I drive over to him real quick and idle the motor down and ask him to park on one of the spots that was plowed already. He flipped me off and walked in!!! Well needless to say I was pissed, but being an employee of someone else I wasn't going to do anything and risk him losing the contract.

Well sure enough about 15 min later the boss shows up and I tell him what happened. He said "That a**hole did the same thing to me a year ago! And wanna know how I know he's an a**hole? Who else would go to the gym to workout at 3:00 AM in a friggin blizzard? He's gotta be an a**hole"!

He then orders me out of the machine, he swaps out the plow for the bucket, and BURIES this guys jeep, I mean you couldn't see any of the vehicle at all, it was all snow. He jumps out, tells me to go on to the next lot and call him if anything hits the fan. So I do my circuit of about 7-8 lots and come back about 6 hours later and there is the jeep, and you could tell the guy tried shoveling his way to the door, but gave up. I cleaned up the little snow he threw around in about 1 minute and was gone.

Never heard a word from anyone about it!

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

A few times . Let's just say we can plow the snow back on the lot as fast we can take it off. Of course he didn't call the cops. What was he going to tell them? I stiff the plowing company not they got back at me?

3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

not snow related, but about 20 years ago my father had a person not pay for a leaf clean up, saying the amount was rediculars, ..... 6 truck loads

my dad told him that his leafs were still in the trucks,

next morning trucks were empty, but his drive way was not

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

we buried a guy that parked in the way about 5 times in three weeks

Jack ass finally paid us to plow him out

5. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

1: We got a Huge snow 2 years ago, and this guy parked in my lot overnight after being told not to many of times, so I started plowing the snow around him, then the skid got there and by the end of the night the snow was past the roof line.

2. One of the guys were plwoing a drive, and the guy didnt want to pay, the snow was still out in the road, dad had our guy plow the snow back in to the drive.

The next snow were plowing the roads we go past pushing the snow in the the other lane, well the guy was just walking in to the house from shovleing his drive, dad came back down the road and blow the dudes drive full of snow lol

6. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

this discussion has come up many times before. its not so much payback as it is revenge, and that's not professional. Let the courts handle who should get paid for what work.

The thought that someone would put a snow pile back due to nonpayment is malicious. What if the person in that house had need of an ambulance, but the emergency vehicles couldn't get through b/c the disgruntled plow guy put a huge heap of snow at the mouth of the driveway--what if someone lost their life b/c the ambulance couldn't get through in time? The argument can be made that if the plow guy didn't plow, the driveway would still be blocked by the fallen snow. The difference there is that fallen snow is an Act of God, and a vengeful snow guy did it intentionally. That's the way the courts would see it too.

just my 2 cents.

7. elite1msmith

from chicago

well, thats a very good point, in the case of the drive way , but i hope they ahve pics to prove it was me doing it.. im just saying, a pic is worth a thousand words

2. in the case of the parking lot, i think your prettty safe as long as you dont hit his car

3rd, im really an as hole, and if the guy pised me off that much , i hope he dies on the way to the hospital ...lol

8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

If our neighbor keeps it up they are going to be on the recieving end of some payback this winter.:D

We do nothing to bother them or interrupt their daily life, but they sure like to mess up ours.

9. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

An old guy once told me that "snow holds no fingerprints". Winter is the best time to get back at someone who screwed you.

10. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Unless the tracks in the snow lead to your house :drinkup:

11. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

If the guy dies because there was a littlr extra snow in his drive he wasnt much longer for the world anyway

12. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I plowed an old school lot being used for other things, and people across the street would always park cars in the parking lot. They were told not to do that. There were times that they would put the cars there when i showed up to plow. After a few times i would just angle the blade, so the snow would block the back of there car so they could not get out. Sometimes i would even plow in the sides so they had to walk through snow to even get in. What were they going to so call the cops, and tell them i plowed them in when they had no permission to park there...:nod:

13. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

Would you say that about someone you loved and/or cared about?

14. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

okay dont get soft on us :p

15. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Only if they didn't pay the bill. :gunsfiring: :cry:

Screw'em.

Any firefighters on here think you couldn't get thru a snow bank with one of those ambulances or trucks?

16. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

You just backdrag to remove the tire tracks... (not that I would know) of course.

17. farmermatt

farmermatt Junior Member

we have insta chains :) and we are a rural membership department if you pay and require our services it is free if you are not a member it is 300 to show up plus 200 an hour per truck plus 20 an hour per man now good luck getting the deadbeats that seem to have at least one fire a year but dont pay membership or fees for services makes you just not want to go to the next one or throw a match out on the way out of the house "oops must not have got it all the way out" "but we cant afford to come back because people are to cheap to pay a 35 dollar a year membership"

some departments just wont come if you arent a paid member

I know of a guy who dug a basement and wasnt paid for it so about a month later he had a domolition job so he hauled the debris to the basement only took one load to make someone come up with the money he told them as far as he was concerned he owned that hole until he was paid for it so they wrote him a check then asked about the debris and he said its in your hole now :D (they even paid him to haul the load off he dumped in)

as far as putting the snow back in the drive i'd do it in a hartbeat (might even find some extra to pack in there)

18. elite1msmith

from chicago

yep like , plow the entire street towards the drive way . damn i wish i had a Vee

19. scitown

scitown Senior Member

I know a contractor that built a deck and wasn't paid for the labor. Threw a chain around the deck and pulled it down. They only paid for the lumber so thats all they got.

20. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

thats be a great vid to see