1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Paybacks are a B!@#*...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Metro Lawn, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Here is the story. I had some yee haa come through and underbid (actually really bad low ball) most of my commercial accounts in one area. Well, he took about 75% of them. I guess when you can get a $200 lot plowed for $40..... Anyway, I am guessing he did this all over the place, because he stopped my partner while in his personal plow truck with no lettering on it and asked him to sub these jobs. My partner talked to him awhile and explained that we could give him 6 trucks if he needed them. He was so happy that he took all 6 with no contract at $55 an hour. He faxed over a list of about 60 commercial properties including the 6 he took from us. We got a 10" about a week later and we never touched a single one of his properties. We ended up getting called back by 5 of our 6 previous customers and picked up 4 new ones from his list. I think this may have taught this low balling P.O.S. a valuable lesson. Let this be a warning to all you lowballing, part-time, one truck wonders out there.... The big dogs are at play... stay your butts on the the porch! roflmao:nono::nono:

2. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

thats a great story

3. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i like how you got them back.

4. DUMZ

DUMZ Senior Member

That is great story.... wait a min... I'm a one truck wonder...

But by no means a lowballer

5. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Wow....! That's awesome, but you got lucky that "happened" to find your partner...anyway, a good outcome...What a slimebag!!!

6. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

except for u blowing him off as a sub kinda makes u look bad. i am not taking his side i am just saying

7. Bill Rowe

Bill Rowe Member

We have a guy like that around here too. Doesn't own a plow truck ,just tries to contract others to do the work. I think he owns a salt truck though. Every time we get a job back that he had we hear how the plowing was cheap but the salting was 3 or 4 times more $ than normal.

Bill

8. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I dont think he is saying that a one truck wonder business is a bad way to go, or that he is scared of them. It is that the guy had one truck and underbid a lot of properties and subbed them out because he knew he would not be able to handle them and after paying his subs he could make himself some money and not have to do anything but a little paper work. There is a fine line on this one.....:angel:or :angry:

9. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Now that was some quick thinking. Great job :cool: :drinkup:

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm happy you got your accounts back, but what does low balling have to do with one truck wonders and such. The guy that took the work on you probably had more then one truck and your just going to upset half the guys on this site by putting down one truck wonders. JMO

11. Metro Lawn

I have nothing against guys with one truck. It is these jerks that work a full time job and use plowing snow to pay for a new truck every few yeras that get under my skin. Most don't have insurance or even pay taxes. They base what they make plowing against the hourly job they have. Gee, I make $15 bucks an hour at work so if I plow for $20 and hour, I am making out. It brings the whole industry price structure down. I lost the plowing at my corner party store to a guy that does it for a 6 pack of beer or about $5.00. Grab a yellow pages and call a bunch of plumbers, electricians, ect. I bet you pretty much get the same hourly rate from all of them. They stick together and keep the rates where they should be. You aren't going to find a low ball plumber for $10 and hour I bet. We in the lawn and snow industry are all about slitting eachothers throats and it gets worse all the time. We need to stick together like other industries, but we can't with J/As like these morons.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  12. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

glad you got your accounts back, and he shouldnt have bid so many places without doing some research first. Also, woud you expect someone to show up somewhere if there was no contract signed. It would have been dumb for metro lawn to show up... no contract, no guarantee of payment for him, i wouldnt have showed up without there being a previously signed contract.

13. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Thats what got me as well.

If anything I would have demanded cash up front from the guy.

If he paid the going rate to sub them out and under bid everything he would not last the weekend.

14. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

That is right. A whole bunch of Jack#$#@@ out there messing it up for the ones that do it the right way.

15. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

I see your actions as poor. Would you like your customers to treat you the same. I see it as you and/or your partner are not men of your word. I see it as screwing over previous customers and being dishonest in your business dealings.

16. Metro Lawn

I see a moderator got rid of all the posts from that guy in Illinios and my responses to some of them. My whole thing was if he was going to come in and take work away from me and others at such a low rate knowing he could not service them, and then not get a perfromance agreemant signed, he desrves what he got. Let it be a lesson.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  17. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

i read through that too fast, but hes charging people $40 for $200 lots and then having to pay your company $55 per truck per hour? How is he making any money? Isnt $55 per hour low?

18. mnormington

mnormington Senior Member

That's what i meant to say. Bravo!!:drinkup:

19. Metro Lawn

Your right on both counts. He won't make money and yes, $55 is low. My subs make $75 and up. This may be the moral to the whole story. He has no concept of business and really shouldn't be trying to run one. Can anyone say "wake up call"?

20. Sealer

Sealer Member
    from Ne, Pa.

This is one of the reasons why I sold my pete' and got out of trucking!

Low-ballers......:realmad:

They're not just in the snow plowing industry!