1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pay up Snowdoggy, you copy kats!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 1olddogtwo, Feb 4, 2016.

1. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

http://centralparts.com/blog/2016/1/22/douglas-dynamics-v-buyers-products-federal-court-upholds-98-million-verdict-in-snowplow-patent-suit/

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You a link rookie?

3. 1olddogtwo

Damn phone!

I'm sure Snofarmer will fix it.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

5. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

We all knew it was gonna happen!

6. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

Ahh thats only about 2300 plows sold .. Chump change

7. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I didn't see exactly which patents it violated. I'm assuming it's in relation to their expanding wing plow. It's a poorly designed plow anyway, and they sell very few of them.

8. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

think buyers will cost a few bucks more now?

9. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

And now we know why Toro bought Boss, diversification.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

this is the conclusion of a old ruling, none of the patent infringements had to do with the expanding wings, they covered things appearing on all designs. If you do a search of Plowsite the links to the original rulings are posted.

11. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Intellectual property laws are getting way too complex. I'd argue it's one of the many things wrong with America currently. I seem to recall a dd patent on slotted cutting edge bolt holes? We have quite a few trademarks and such but again, it's been a nonstop headache and never ending bill from the attorneys trying to get IP secured. We did get lucky and sold one trademark for $10k so there is aways the plus side but the day i got that wire transfer, I felt like a scumbag selling effectively nothing for really decent money

12. 1olddogtwo

It appears its the mounting and the lift frame.

13. Turf Z

Turf Z Senior Member

Honestly we run both brands on multiple trucks and to the naked eye there's similarities but they're vastly different.

I skimmed the article and some of this involved the aftermarket replacement parts manufactured by Buyers/SAM?

14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I like this part...........someone has missed their calling as a politician. It should read:

15. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Here I thought snow Dogg mount looked more like a non powered boss.

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No; The Boss had the slotted holes and sued DD.

17. JustJeff

I can't comment on the lift frame as the last Western I had was a pre unimount. But if they're worried about copyright infringement on the mounting, they shouldn't as I've always stated I hate the mount and mounting system. The only part I'm displeased with on my plow. It's a poor design and sucks. But that's just me. I can't say how I'd feel if I had a copyright on it, and Buyers stole it. Might be a different story then. Or, it could just be that DD is trying to push a competitor out of the market. Regardless though, if Buyers stole it, they should have to pay up.

18. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I know you're a big snowdogg fan and I dont want to start anything but if you put an xv next to a doggy v and its easy to see where they ripped off the DD design. Honestly I think they got off cheap only paying 9.8 million

19. JustJeff

No problem, and as far as I'm concerned you're not starting any sh**. I don't quite get your comparison letters, but as I said earlier, if they stole something they're wrong, and they should pay.