1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pay subs on a per plow basis?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ground Master, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Ground Master

Ground Master Junior Member

I read with interest the thread regarding hourly rate for subs.

Does anyone pay subs on a per plow basis?

Say you have a lot that you plow at $200 for a 3" snow, $300 per 6", $400 per 9" snow, etc. Would you pay your sub a percentage of your price? , perhaps 60%?
  2. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Good concept. Would give subs a definite incentive to work quickly and efficiently. I pay subs by the hour. I usually working in the same lot or general area as the sub and I know the time required to clear a certain area, So I can tell if they are slacking. So far I haven't had any problems. I would think using my pay scale and working backwards, subs would get 40-50% of whats billed.
  3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

If the sub knows exactly what you are charging he might poach your lots next year..........

it would work if everyone was honest......
  4. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

When a person gets paid by the hour, he kinda "milks" the job. When je gets paid by the JOB, he will do whatever it takes to cut corners and half a$$ it to get paid and on to the next lot.
  5. JMR

JMR Senior Member

I think the key is find good subs, pay them fairly. Hopefully they treat you the same. Fair pay for fair work. I got a good group working for me and I feel that their productivity is good. I think most of us pay subs by the hour, but % is an interesting concept to entertain.
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I am a sub-contractor that goes out on almost every storm.

If anybody "milks the job" it's the contractors employees! They know the longer they take the less they do. Overtime might be paid if they drag their feet enough. How many contractors even check on what employees are doing? How many can get by without sub-contractors? If we are such a great taker of your money just hire some more employees! Pay some more taxes and have some more people to keep busy.

I don't have to "milk the job". I am not going to beatup my equipment either. Do you like your employees to beat YOUR equipment? Maybe plow fast and furious hitting curbs and posts? But hey the shaved 5 minutes off the best time ever on this job. I take pride in my work and have had very few complaints on my time spent or any aspect of the jobs I have done. I don't have to milk the times. I got other stuff waiting and people with my business card calling. They pay cash on the spot, soon my tanks are full again and breakfast is bought.
  7. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

O.K., Miki, count to ten.

Let me say, if it were not for subs, I would not be as successfull a snowplower as I am now. I started out as a sub and did so for 2 years. Nobody is saying anything bad about subs. I have had to let a couple co due to their snail-paced attitude. It happens. Not many, but it does happen.
  8. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Mickirig1: You are so right. Like I said the key is finding good people. You sound like the kind of sub that I would hire.

I usually work the same the same lots as my subs, since I have larger size accounts. I can see if they are slacking or not. The slackers don't last long. I feel fortunate, I've had the same drivers for years. I know what you mean though. I knew a contractor that his employees beat his truck up so bad that they put him out of business. Literally destroyed 4 trucks in 1 good size storm.
  9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Sorry for the strongly worded statement above.
    That subject just sets me off. I just get tried of cracks on sub's. Because I don't do it for "a living" I am a lower life form, this is the attitude I have seen on some posts. And "employees" of contractors I have worked for seem to think the same of us.
    I don't have to do it, I do it because I truly love to plow snow. The extra money is nice, but I could work overtime at my main job and make good money too. But, I do fear the "milking" is going on with subs, I get the attitude from contractors about how long it took many times in the past. Course they waited till the full 6-12 was on the ground till they sent me out to do it. " It should take just another 10 minutes extra"
  10. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

No subs here. Haven't had to use any yet. Although if I do, I would pay them by the hour. And make sure it's someone that I know fairly well for the purpose of being able to half a-- trust them.:waving: