1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pay increase for a big storm

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by sameoldthang, Jan 4, 2014.

1. sameoldthang

sameoldthang Member

I have a question and looking for a little guidance. In addition to having my own lots to do, I am a sub for a snow removal company and they will be calling me and giving me a route for big storms like whats headed our way. Here in Indiana they are calling for 8-12 and I get paid X per hour. Can I ask for X+1 per hour more being we are getting a bad storm . Thanks

2. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

IMO best case was for that to be worked out when you signed up as a sub.
    I only work as a sub since this is a side gig for me. When his rates go up so do mine. He has three rates based on the amount and account. Rates change at 6" and 12".

3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

They pay by the hr. Big storm more hrs. IMO. How's about they tell you it's a small storm coming and renegotiate a smaller amount paid.

4. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

You are getting paid by the hour. Why would you expect to make more per hour? I don't get it.

5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Right on!!!

6. SnowGuy73

Exacly........

7. sameoldthang

sameoldthang Member

pay

Thanks for the reply's. Why would I get paid more per hour on a big event, more fuel burned, more risk. He charges more $$ for more snow, so why should I get paid the same...

8. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

You burn more fuel per hour when they are calling for 12"? If you wait til the storm is over, maybe. But are you not going to be plowing the lots by the time there is 2" on the ground? You will burn more fuel overall, but not more per hour. You will be plowing a lot more hours though.

9. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

You're fuel and risk are part of your hourly. You make more too cause you get more hours. What you negotiated was hourly not a baseline...

10. SnowGuy73

Doesn't 12" take longer to plow than 2"?......

I know it does for me!

11. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I get payed hourly. Last storm 4 inches 12 hours. This storm yesterday. 29 hours. 7 inches. Long storms are better no matter how much it snows. If the storm last longer I make more . Does"t matter how much It snows.

12. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

So you agreed for X dollars per hour and since its a big storm you want more... Plow for what you agreed to and at the end maybe he will give you a bonus.

13. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Not your business what he gets paid.

14. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Same as I have to sometimes remind my clients...You don't get to make up or change the rules as the season progresses. If you fall short of what you feel is reasonable, then you make those modifications on the next contract.

15. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I'd say get your own accounts if you're worried about what he's getting. If a sub wanted more for a larger storm I'd find a different sub........

16. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

Yep, I was thinking the same thing.

17. BOSS LAWN

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

just offer storm bonuses, a set amount for every big storm

18. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

More snow means more hours. You set a price in at the start of the season. You get that price.

19. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Crazy thread

20. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

If one of our subs asked for more money for a big event I would tell him he is no longer needed. Without question.