1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pavingstone driveways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Gr8WhiteNorth, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

Would you recommend using a bobcat to scrape snowfall amounts in excess of 4-6" off pavingstone driveways or parking lots? What about using a backpack blower VS. a broom to clean up the light skiffs?
  2. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Are you talking about newly installed concrete brick pavers (<10yrs old) or are you talking about 100 year old bricks they used to use to do streets and such?

New bricks with an even surface should be cleaned with a plastic or rubber edge. If I had the equipment and the snow was right, I would use a broom on the older un-even stuff. But would still use a plastic or rubber edge on a blade.
  3. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

I do 3 and use an 810 with the steel cutting edge. No big deal. One drive is about 2 years old and the others are 3-4 years old. Been doing them for 3 years now and haven't used anything but the 810. Just let them know that something may happen to the drive and that your not responsible. If your that worried about it don't do it. Sorry but I'm not spending 2-300 dollars for an edge for 3 drives because they like brick.
  4. yard guard

some guys are probably sick of hearing about the yard-guards that we use,..
    that is a pipe that has a slit cut in it and slips over the cutting edge of your bar.
    About a 10minute hookup if you dont just leave it on the plow (like we do)

Then the tube 'softens' the cutting edge and you cant damage the bricks

Jerre posted a picture of a guy using a composite 5/4 deck board as a cutting edge
    but I never heard if this works

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

Personally I would stay away from the bobcat, too much downforce to damage or rip out pavers. All it takes is one time and there go the profits on the drive for the year. A regular cutting edge will work fine, you still need to be a little careful though.