1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Paving my salt bin.

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Bossman 92, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

This week we will finally be paving our salt bin. I called our local asphalt plant and they quoted me prices of $52 a ton for base course and $56 a ton for top course. They deliver our salt by tri axle semi loads and will back onto the asphalt pad when they dump. My question is how thick should we lay the asphalt. Also how thick should the lifts of asphalt be before we compact them.

Thanks in advance. I will post pics later this week

2. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I would do at least 6 inches with two inch lifts. If you have doubts just ask the asphalt provider your questions. That's what they do everyday and should tell you what you need to do.

3. Bossman 92

Thanks. I asked the gal at the asphalt plant a few questions and all she seemed to know was price and the days and times they made it.

4. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

international salt in Morrisville . they did 6'' bc compressed to 5'' w/ 3'' top compressed to 2'' . 1500 ton a night for 5 weeks .

6''.jpg

5. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

and yes , I was on the job . Thumbs Up

IMAG0107_zpspeadkfgx.jpg

6. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

I wonder why they did not use Concrete??........:whistling:.....:laughing:

7. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Bituminous Concrete is a Fancy word for Asphalt...

8. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

To the OP, if you put down 5" of 25mm base course loose it will compact to 3.75" add to that 2" of 9mm wearing course it will hold up for quite some time and it will be over 5 inches thick. Any more than 2" of wearing the asphalt starts to move and push and you'll end up with ruts.

9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Wow....a simple post....wow

Some snow is need to ease tension.

10. brianbrich1

brianbrich1 PlowSite.com Addict

I have paved a few salt bins for the railroad and the specs they have us use is binder lift at a compacted 3" & then surface lift at a compacted 2". All are holding just fine after several years.

11. Bossman 92

Thanks for everyone's response.....enlightened my morning reading a bit. :laughing:

12. Bossman 92

Exactly the kind of info I was looking for.. Thank you sir

13. Bossman 92

Again...exactly the kind of reply I was looking for. Thank you sir. :salute:

14. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Good advice from others.Make sure that your sub base is free from organics etc. (topsoil)Ideally you want to start on a nice compactable structural base ,no clay or unstable soils.If you want to go over board you could also put down some geotextile to firm it up. 2 lifts of at least 2" compacted and you'll be fine. btw,great prices for asphalt in your area,its well over 85$ in my area.

15. brianbrich1

brianbrich1 PlowSite.com Addict

46.50 binder and 50.50 surface for me south side of chicago using roughly about 5, 000-8000 ton annually.

16. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

mine is around 5 inches thick, base is chips and dust at 10 inches thick. still holding up after 11 years

17. tbi

tbi Member
    from CNY

3" of binder has held up in mine for 10 years now.

18. CamS

CamS Junior Member

Make sure the ground the trucks are backing off of to get onto the pad is at least level with it or the pad will crumble from the edge in

19. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

No mater what is on top make sure you have a good thick and compacted base of crusher run under