1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

paver drives

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by a palustris, Mar 15, 2003.

1. a palustris

a palustris Member

How does one go about plowing a driveway which is comprised solely of cobblestone or unilock pavers? I have seen some of these around and wonder what it would take to plow them without causing damage.

2. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I would think that urethane edge would be the best solution. I have heard many good things about them.

3. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

I agree its gotta be a u-edge

4. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

they are very tough brick. you would do more damage to asphalt than pavers

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I plow them with my steel edge plows without causing any damage. Don't really see ann advantage for a u-edge. Not saying they won't work. Pavers are tougher and more durable then asphalt I have not damaged any in 5 years of plowing the drives. I remember being in Boston once and seeing a city truck plowing true cobblestone. Talk about noise, and the plow was bouncing all over. Could not really do a great job clearing, not that a U-edge would have helped.

6. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

I also use a steel edge on pavers and hae not had any problems

7. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

We install 50,000 sq. ft of pavers minimum every year. When they get plowed with a steel edge it will and does leave scrape marks on them. Especially if their sealed. Urathane cleans them nice and leaves no marks. And on cobblestone or any rough surface a u-edge definetly cleans better and wont bounce around. Just my two cents, I've seen the damage.

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

What kind of Pavers??? I have not seen any get gouged. I have seen surface scratches that disappear when the pavers are swept in the spring or when they are blown off after every mowing.

I have seen worse scratches from kids toys.

9. dan deutekom

dan deutekom Member

Pavers are pretty tough. I don't think there is a simple answer to this question. I have seen pavers scratched using our tractor, but the same driveway is not affected by our skidsteer. (the tractor just uses a back blade with no down pressure but the skidsteer has down-pressure on the bucket) The plow truck has scratched it some years and others it hasn't. Same truck same driver. We discovered all this over the last 5 or 6 years because this customer is chronically picky and complains constantly (but pays well and provides a lot of work). I think a lot may depend on snow conditions but who knows. My personal opinion is that if a driveway can't be plowed then it has know buisness existing in this climate!

10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I agree. I often question some of the decorative (non paver) driveways.

11. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

I use Ideal pavers, there about the best in my area. Think about it I've seen anything from pavers to concrete scraped from plowing. I plow paver area's but I keep the blade up about a quarter of an inch. What evers left burns right down with salt.

12. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

I use u-edges on my front blades and steel on my rear blades. The steel edges do and will leave skid marks on pavers.

I used to have u-edges on my rear plows too, but the combo. did not work well as far as scraping performance goes.

Get a u-edge, you won't be disappointed!

Chuck B.

13. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

ProSno, you use salt on pavers? I thought that salt was harmful for pavers, we always use sand on pavers if we have to, or a little calcuim chloride. I would think that salt is more harmful than plowing it clean.

14. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

Hey little green dude, never had a problem with salt on pavers-EVER. sometimes we use calcium but most of the time salt. Paver's are much tougher than plain concrete. We install lots of them and stand behind them with a great warranty