1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pause before shifting

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by birddseedd, Sep 19, 2012.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

why is my 04 ram 1500 pausing before it shifts into forward gear soemtimes.

my car does the same. but not worried aobut it. the truck im worried about
  2. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Low on fluid? I've heard the trannys in the dodges suck, but I'm sure there are many that will disagree,good luck
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

All electronics now days takes a second to get the single through. Plus its a Dodge .
  4. 04ram1500

04ram1500 Member

I've had my truck for 3 years now, and it has done it since the day I got it. So I would say it's nothing to worry about.

I have noticed that it only seems to do it when you first start the truck and put it in gear. Once running it doesn't matter how much you go from reverse to drive it doesn't act up.
  5. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

yup what grandview said.....cause its a dodge! Not hating on the dodges but every dodge needs or has had a replaced transmission yet people keep buying them:confused:
  6. birddseedd

it probably just needs new fluid. shrugs
  7. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Its the filter. the 545RFE is known for it. The filter is held in place by a rubber grommet it eventually loosen and causes a drop in pressure causing a delay in shifts from park to reverse &drive. Replace your filter and make sure its seated properly. do a search on dodgetalk.com about it and you'll see its not a huge issue.

And Id put the reliability of the 545RFE up against anything from Ford/GM.

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

I've long wondered the same.

Different note, my 93 f-150 does the same.
  9. birddseedd

transmission fluid filter?
  10. plowguy43

Yes tranny fluid filter
  11. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

The dodge tranny doesn't build pressure in Park. Go to Nuetral for a second before going into Drive or Reverse on initial startup and it won't hesitate a bit. A friend of mine who builds trannys gave me this info.
  12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That is true...
  13. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not sure, mainly because I don't build transmissions, but I swear my trans builds pressure in park. If I start it up first thing in the am and let it warm up then when I drop it into gear it seems like it wants to take off. The whole truck jumps. If I just start it and go it doesn't do it. I'll be changing the pan in a week or two so I'm going to do the filter while I'm there. Any other advice/opinions?
  14. plowguy43

That was true with the 46/47RH /RE transmissions. The 545RFE found behind all HEMI 's builds pressure in park/pumps fluid while in park. Im willing to bet money its the filter.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

On the older stuff the fluid will drain back into the pan if sitting overnight. This is very common too for this check valve is commomnly removed in the rebuild process for it sometimes can cause flow issues. As for slight delays on a hot trans check your fluid levels and smell the fluid. A trans service is never a bad idea, unless you know the clutches are fried.
  16. birddseedd

so how about it. how many bets on the filter how many on a blown tarns? 04 ram 1500 80k miles. proally no trany fluid change payup
  17. birddseedd

i dont feel any slippage. just delay once or twice a day.

ill change the fluid and filter soon as i get some time. jsut now getting my mower working again. still kidna need to work on a spindle.
  18. plowguy43

If the tranny has no other problems then i wouldn't think its blown. if its just a delay, its common with that tranny .
  19. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

The transmission needs more line pressure to shift quickly. Right when you put it into gear floor the throttle and if it shifts quicker that way then you know that you have low line pressure for some reason
  20. birddseedd

problem with that is it only does it every so often. just sold a plow and tires so a quick 650.00 ill just change the fluid and filter and see what happens. over 80k miles so its probably about time for a fluid change anyway.

question. in the video i watched they just dropped the pan and let the fluid come out. is this all i need to do. what is considered a transmission "flush"?