1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pattern not changing- HAW LED

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Chandlerarms, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Chandlerarms

Chandlerarms Senior Member

I spent most of the day hooking up my new SNM E4's and adding a new switch (3 power + momentary). I already had a SNM E Series HAW working just fine (single switch + momentary).

I am putting 2 E4's in the grille (waiting on brackets) and 2 on the side window (one on either side). The E4's work good - synched, power on/off and can change patterns. The HAW's work fine prior th the re-wiring. Now the pattern change does not work. When I check the HAW "pattern" wire (bare) with my electric probe tester, I get some juice. When I check the E4's pattern wire I get no power. I have checked the momentary switch and it is working properly- get power when I "click it".

I have no clue what the problem might be. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Chanlerarms

2. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

Just make sure the two items your trying to synch are on the same pattern before you link up the sink cable.

3. Chandlerarms

Thanks Mems, but that is not my issue. My E4's are synched and switch pattern fine. My E series hide-a-way's will not change patterns. The two sets of lights are not synched together.

The "pattern" wire for my HAW looks to be "hot" all the time. Not connected to anything the wire has power flowing thru it?

Thanks

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Are you sure the pattern wire doesn't need to be grounded to change the pattern?

5. Andrew010

Andrew010 Senior Member

My pattern wire needs to be grounded to change patterns. Might be worth a try.

6. Chandlerarms

It is grounded (well I am pretty sure). Originally I just had the hide-away's in the rear tail lights (e series) with a single on/off & momentary. I had the HAW grounded as well as the switch. Everything worked. I have the new switch hooked up the same way- just with two more switches. I am not an expert in electrical, so I am not sure what's causing the "HAW pattern" switch to have power all the time?

7. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

From the sounds of it you ran power to one end of the momentary switch when it should be a ground are you trying to change the patterns of both sets of lights thru one switch? That's probably the other issue as the new lights are probably positive switched for pattern changing. You may have to change the patterns individually. (2 different switches)

8. Chandlerarms

Thanks RBRONKEMA. That kind of makes sense (to me). Yes, I was trying to change pattern thru one momentary switch. So this is what I thought:

3 pairs of lights. 1. SNM hide-a-way's (rear tail lights) 2. Pair of SNM e4's in the rear side window 3. Pair SNM e4's in the front grille (wire ran but not installed yet)

I have a 4 panel switch. 3 power and 1 momentary. Have all 3 pairs of lights (pattern wire) connected together to the momentary. Each pair connected to in individual power switch. My thought was if I wanted to change a pattern on one of the sets of lights- that set would only be on- change the pattern and then turn on the other two sets of lights. Doesn't that make sense? I guess I need to ask SNM if the e4's are "positive switched" and the HAW's are "negative"? I have disconnected the e4 pattern wire and still no change.???

9. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

Now sure what you are testing with the meter in regards to the flash pattern wire but newer E seriesre positive switches and older use ground to change the pattern. We have never had a light that's working not change pattern so it sounds like a wiring issue. If you think the lights are broke please send them to us, just be sure to write repairs on the outside of the box.