1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Past accounts locked in

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by johndeereguy, Sep 3, 2009.

1. johndeereguy

johndeereguy Senior Member
    from Iowa

I have two main places that I push snow or salt for. Both are large truck stops in rural Iowa. I push and salt for the Pilot and have for many years, the other is a Kwik Star and always do their salting. They try to take care of the snow pushing with an old pos loader, but lots of times have me come in and take care of it since theirs is broken down. I am wanting to grow this part of the business and looking to add more accounts, but being in rural Iowa I am about 25 miles away from bigger cities. Kind of hard to travel for snow like I do on the mowing side. Just made my day today that they both came in. Both lots are about 15 acres each.
  2. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Good for you Lynn. It just has to suck looking for accounts in BFE!! Lol.

Don't be such a stranger, I see you mowing all over tiffin. Wave me down sometime.

3. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

25 miles from any cities would suck. be thankful for those truckstops. treat them right and you'll have those accounts for along time. all my accounts i have had for 6-7 years. i look to expand my business a little each year, i may really expanding and quick if the prime outletls mall contract comes threw. that's a 35-40 hr labor every time it snows. of course that includes sidewalks. good luck.
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

My biggest and most visible accounts are locked in. Next year too on the schools. Still waiting on one small apt building, may get another through the same prop management company in the next town over. I'll probably lose a couple resis, and pick up a half dozen. Every year I get a few calls right before the first snow.
  5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Some of my smaller comm accounts are locked in but I did heard from 2 big ones....they're sticking with their current guys (hey, at least they're loyal...I'll just keep plucking away at them)......waiting for about 5 more larger ones to give me the dreaded fu letter or the phone call stating I've got the contract .... this is the part that sucks!
  6. johndeereguy

johndeereguy Senior Member
    from Iowa

Yes being "out here" does kind of suck in the way that there just are not that many accounts. But the positive is that there is plenty of ground for those truck stops. Otherwise I would be starving. I would love to get a mall just 15 miles from my shop. Bid on it last year, but like you said, they were loyal and gave it to the past guy for two more years. Hoping to get the painting of the parking lot there so at least I would be "in". Especially if I end up buying the new truck I am looking at. 08 F650 XLT Supercab with a Cat and Allison 3000 Auto. Mainly for pulling the trailer for now, but oh boy it would plow some serious snow and haul a serious spreader. I will keep ya posted