1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

passing along a tip

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Frank, Jan 11, 2001.

1. Frank

Frank Member

hey fellas
    i think this is a great way to pass diffrent tips & ideas. i have a f superduty to add weight to the back i put two 50 gal. drums fill them with water. leaves me room for salt and other things, no mess to get rid of, very clean. if you have tip let us know.

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

LOL, what happens to "other things" when the water freezes and ruptures the drums?

Good idea just dont put anything back there that could be water damaged.

3. Frank

Frank Member

i have benn plowing with the drums in the back for five years and no problems. they usually freeze and thaw out in spring. the one i use are heavy poly type i think.

4. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

As everyone know water expands when it freezes. I am sure that the gentleman who uses water filled drums for weight has allowed ample room for expansion.

My biggest concern would be if by some chance the drum just happened to slide under a hard braking or some unforseen manuever.

Might cause a lot of damge to your bed or god forbid another vehicle if it exits the bed.

How do you have them secured?

5. Frank

Frank Member

i have the rack body with 3/4 ply wood bolted on to it. i cut four holes, stand the drums up this way there is less of a chance of that rolling pressure and strap them.also i mite add i don't have the barn doors on my rack. i had changed that. i had a welder make me a flip door because i work in the city there is no room for the barn doors to open. it also gives a little added strenth to the rack body.