1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Passenger compartment air filter

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ontario026, Jan 2, 2009.

1. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

I just thought I'd write an FYI here, I never realized my truck (2000 Chev 2500 Silverado) had a passenger compartment air filter until I was looking through the manual for something else the other day and found a section on it, and it stated that as long as the truck has A/C then it has the filter. My truck has 180KM or 112K miles on it, and there was a pile of crap in the filter, quite disgusting...best of all the blower blows much harder now, I originally thought that the first couple blower settings were broken on my controls as they didn't seem to do much, but now it looks like it was because of too much resistance from the crap in the filter... There is actually 2 filters that sit in there side by side, and are very easy to change, and around 30 bucks for both the filters (came packaged together)...

To change it you need to drop the passenger's "kick guard" that is over the heater box, I did not remove mine totally, just removed the 2 farthest right screws to drop it and flex it down out of the way, then you will see on the heater box a thin door, it runs from front to back, the back has a bolt holding it, and the front a clip, i just unclipped the front and swung the door to the side out of the way, I think you are supposed to unbolt the back first, but I didn't... now the first filter will just slide down and out, then the second filter you have to slide it to the rear of the vehicle then slide it out of the same slot the first one came out of... Whole job should take like 10 min....

I'm looking forward to the next plowing to see how much better my heater/defroster works compared to before, since it sure seems to blow stronger!! I think pretty much any chev from 2000 and newwer should have the same setup as this, especially if you have higher miles you should check it out....

2. mautore

mautore Member

Ontario, thanks for the info. I recently bought an '02 chevy 2500hd but don't have a manual yet. I'll be checking my passenger filter for sure.
  3. sledrider2005

sledrider2005 Member

Thanks for the info Ontario i know i had filters but didn't know were
  4. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I am going to check mine as well. Im sure its clogged like my fuel filter was.
  5. Scott13136

Scott13136 Member

my 02 has them
  6. mautore

mautore Member

Thanks Scott, my '02 must of them also.
  7. Scott13136

Scott13136 Member

Remove the cover under the glovebox, there is a screw holding what lo0kes like a strap around the air duct. Under the strap there are 2 filters. I change mine about once a year, which is about 60k. If you are a smoker or live on dusty roads you will not beleive the diffrence.
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes you'd be surprised at how much difference a fresh set of filters can make. So few owners even realize that they're even in there and most lack of airflow complains are due to dirty cabin filters...which is one reason only the '99-'02's had the cabin filters. They were omitted in '03.
  9. Scott13136

Scott13136 Member

I am supprized that they were omitted. I thought the 03 and 04 trucks we have had them. Now I have to go look. May be a week or 2 before I catch up with them.
  10. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

does the 05 have them
  11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nope like I already said, omitted by the '03 model year. :waving:
  12. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I got mine two months ago........Damn procrastination again, still haven't changed them out. :eek:
  13. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

thanks i read that just making sure
  14. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

B B why did they omit them ???? Was it do to lack of customer maintenance replacing them ????
  15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Best I can gather yes. Too many owner complains due to lack of airflow since few owners bother to read the owners manual to educate themselves on the fact that the filters are there and need changed as a scheduled maintenance item. Cost is likely #2.

It is possible with some mods to install them in the newer model trucks that didn't come equipped with them. Not a 5 minute deal but possible none the less.
  16. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

im curious if any parts store has them in stock..
  17. mautore

mautore Member

A quick search shows Autozone has both the particulate and the charcoal filter. I usually deal with a local NAPA and if they don't have it in stock, they get it in a day.
  18. deckboys

deckboys Senior Member

i have found that the charcol ones seem to be better...
    alot of new cars have the cabin air filter in them...
    you would be suprised how many people don't have a clue they are there... (used to work at a lube shop)
  19. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Well after reading this thread, I decided to check mine. Oh my god they are disgusting at best!!!! They are white when new right?? I have seen the insides of a muffler look cleaner, lol. They were black and full of grass clippings, dirt, etc. I bet they are original from 2000. When I pulled the cover down, 3 pens fell out, an old gas receipt, and a bunch more grass clippings and leaves. I just left them out. None of my other trucks had them and were fine, so why waste the $$??? Blower sure works better now!!!!! And I got a face full of left over leaf chunks when I turned the thing on full blast. Should be good to go now

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Does any one have pics of this? Also do the diesels have the same filter