1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Passed all my tests ,never learned the answer?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by xtreem3d, Mar 15, 2013.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Evening guys,
    Just took and passed 7 of the CDL tests today, didn't take School Bus. After all those tests I still have not got a clue when I need a medical card or a log book. There was only one question relating to having to show your log book to a FHTSA if asked to do so.
    I don't remember any of the study stuff explaining any of that ...can anyone help?
    Steve

2. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Here in Ct you need a medical card before they issue lic.Can't renew without showing card.

3. xtreem3d

I only have the permit..maybe i will need one also when I get my license but I have never read or heard anything about either

4. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Info should be on DMV website.

5. xtreem3d

6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Never, ever ever base anything you do off of "dmv.org"

I think this answers your question:

http://www.modot.org/mcs/FAQ.htm#MedicalA

In a nut shell you need to log if you travel farther then a 100 miles from "home".

http://www.modot.org/mcs/documents/13compliancemanual/HoursOfServiceOfDrivers.pdf

ps: Is that better for the two horse's rearends?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  7. xtreem3d

Thanks..for me it looks like medical card yes...log book no,
    Steve

8. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

When in doubt,just operate the same time as when my ''special'' overweight permit kicks in.Thumbs Up :)

9. PabstBlueRibbon

PabstBlueRibbon Senior Member

Any time operating a "commercial Vehicle" you need a log book and it also depends on the kind of driving you are doing. I operate in a 150 mile air radius of a construction zone so my book is less complex. You need a medical card to prove you are fit to operate, i.e. you won't black out, pass out, or drop dead on the job. When hired by an employer they will walk you through the how the log book works

10. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Fed law says no log book if: you operate within 100 air miles. Of home, home every night, 12 hrs per day max, you punch a time clock, and records are kept for 6 months by employer

11. xtreem3d

Are these all inclusive or did you mean to put an OR in between each item. I am less than 100 miles from home , home every night, but do NOT punch a clock and am self employed