1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pass air bag on or off?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by dodge15004x45.9, Oct 20, 2010.

1. dodge15004x45.9

dodge15004x45.9 Senior Member
    from malvern

I can turn my passenger side air bag off should I turn if off while plowing or leave it on?

2. sidthss

sidthss Senior Member
    from GR MI

I usually always leave mine off, one less thing to listen to if I do get in an accident, I will turn it on if somebody rides with me, but rarely happens.

3. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I say leave it on, that way your dont forget to turn it back on. If you airbags go off while plowing you hit something pretty damn hard. I just dont see any reason for it to be off I guess.

4. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

No offense, but what difference does it make for you plowing? Unless you have someone riding with you, than it shouldn't matter either way.

5. dodge15004x45.9

from malvern

IDK I just wanted to ask and see what guys who have been plowing for a while would have to say.

6. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

The airbag wont go off from plowing. Alot of people think if they hit something(man hole, curb ect) the airbags will go off. This is not true. The sensors are in the frame.

7. wenzelosllc

wenzelosllc Senior Member

Airbags don't go off unless you're going faster than 20 or 30 and come to a stop in under like 3 seconds (Don't remember the real numbers but its something like that) or if you get hit with the same amount of force as doing the previous.

However, if you turn it off when no ones riding with you you will have less damage in cab if for some reason you do crash and they do deploy.

8. MarksTLC

MarksTLC Senior Member

I leave mine on all the time. The manual says when to turn it off, but I never run across the situation, so it's on all the time.

Heck, if it ever goes off, I'm not likely to replace it anyway. Probably total the truck..:cry:

9. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

The sensors are nothing more than a steel ball stuck to a magnet making a connection with the ball. It takes 15lbs of pressure to rip that 1/4 ounce ball off of that magnet. If you succeed in doing that while plowing you were going way to fast when you came to a sudden stop with a plow. Besides, it isn't the passenger side bag that is going to hurt;).

10. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

i leave it on. i have hit a lot of curbs and never had a problem, heck if they go off you will have and ins claim anyway why not let them replace them both

11. dodge15004x45.9

from malvern

I have been told many times don't go over 5mph and if its to deep take half blades don't just bash your truck threw.

12. snowtech

snowtech Member

we leave ours on and have not had one blow yet

13. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

leave it on

14. dodge15004x45.9

from malvern

I'm showing my green in this thread lol.