1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Partnerships vs doing it alone

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ConnerM, Sep 10, 2012.

1. ConnerM

ConnerM Member

OK well here is my situation i contemplated getting a plow last year but didnt wanna have to invest every penny i have and have nothing left over. So this year i saved up enough for a plow truck and was getting ready buy one soon here but my who was willing to go in with me has an uncle who sub-contracts like 5 plows of his own so I asked my buddy for month "hey if your uncle is in the buisness and we wanna start doing this you should arrange a meeting for all of us". this was after last year when i decided i needed more money and time to research. Well long story short my buddy pretty much wont do anything and i told him if u wanna be involved u gotta help and all i need from u is a meeting with your uncle if u wanna still be apart of this. He said next week maybe ( ive heard this a dozen time b4) i said we cant wait and he said he idk what to tell ya. I said goodbye and now I have to get the truck and sub contracting work myself along with everything else.

2. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

Sounds about right. You'll be glad you did it alone. Much easier. Research here and get it done.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

So you and you buddy were going to work with his uncle? Now he don't want to plow? If so,time for you to call him yourself.

4. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Go Solo .... you will be glad

5. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

there are always contractors looking for guys. check on craigslist or stop into some of the mid to large size lawn care & landscaping service. of when you see a plow mount on the truck part at a gas station or somewhere ask the guy who he may owrk for and if that place is looking for other trucks

6. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

A good read about small business and partnerships. Hope this helps you!

"Several weeks ago, Dave Ramsey , author, radio and television personality, was in Houston delivering a three-day seminar on financial matters covering topics such as the debt-free lifestyle and operating a business using these same debt-free principles.

I spoke with Ramsey, and we talked about finances and job searching and the option many job searchers consider — starting a business.

Dave has first-hand experience with his topic, so he spoke with the same enthusiasm that helped him grow the business he started with $5,000 to the highly successful Lampo Group Inc.

He clearly has a passion for moving job seekers forward and equipping them to take action.

Dave’s radio show, a call-in show heard in Houston on 950-AM, noon-2 p.m. weekdays, has over 3 million listeners each week. He says one-third of his callers have questions about career matters and finance.

One of the concerns I hear most often from people going through a career transition is what they should do about their career path. Let’s face it; a job change will impact almost every aspect of a job seeker’s life including plans for their career future.

Change often encourages self reflection, and a number of job seekers will entertain the idea of starting a business during this process.

I asked Ramsey what he thought about starting a business. He’s been self-employed for 98 percent of his career, so his advice is based on personal experience. And few would argue with his success.

He said 68 percent of the businesses started last year were launched on a $5,000 budget, which flies in the face of the notion that you need to invest a chunk of your life’s savings to start your own business.

Dave’s advice is to go slow. “Stay in your present job with integrity while starting your business on a part-time basis,” he says.

Although job seekers look at owning a business as a way to financial freedom, Dave says people should not start a business for the money, but rather because they have a passion for the work. “Do something you love,” is a big part of his advice.

Owning a business comes with an element of risk, and if you are inclined not to be a risk taker you might be tempted to go into a partnership, which Dave describes as “two guys sitting on a porch thinking about going into a house-painting business together” without putting much thought into what might happen when they decide to go their separate ways.

Ramsey thinks most people go into partnerships because they are insecure. “The majority of partnerships last a maximum of 10 years due to all the baggage involved. This can include family issues, how much time one partner spends over the other working, equal rights in the business. These types of problems surface regularly,” he says.

Dave doesn’t totally discount partnerships, but he urges caution and forethought. “There are different forms of partnerships that do work, such as law firms, due to the structures set in place.”

In general, however, partnerships seldom last, and that brings us back to Ramsey’s advice to start a business slowly and do it while you’re still working for someone else.

So where do you start?

Ramsey suggests those considering starting a business research their area of interest and attend classes that focus on what it takes to run a business.

And where does this leave us?

If you’re facing a job change, or considering a career realignment, and you think owning your own business is the way you want to go, your dream may be possible, Ramsey says.

Starting your own business does not take as much money as you might think, however it does take more time than you dreamed to make it successful. If you have the will, there’s definitely a way."

I'm a big fan of Dave Ramsey. His teachings have worked for me and many friends and family around me. Hope it works for you! Good luck!

7. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

I have been solo but now have been giving it thought to letting my part time employee drive my spare truck and plow out some of my drives over his way. I have over extended myself in different Towns and found last yr on a dead run driving around to get these people. I am thinking of letting him run my spare truck for the easier drives so he can relieve some stress and still not worry about him getting stuck and abusing my truck. So far he drives carefully but i do not know if he actually knows how to plow. Not to brag but i have found i am a much better driver than most and i have learned how to drive the truck in some places as not to get stuck and the better techniques to push the snow. I pay him $12 an hour so i should be able to still make money off the driveways after payroll and expenses.

8. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

Plowtow said it. My. 2¢ is go solo partnership are a bad thing. I work full time and do landscapeing and plowing part time. I had the chance to do a partnership with a friend. I did not want to change that if he or I did something it easier to work out difference's as friends than partners. But that's my. 2¢