1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Part Time Snow Removal Business

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Jack_Taylor, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack_Taylor

Jack_Taylor Junior Member

I just graduated college and a snow removal business part time looks interesting (I'm from Canada). Money is not particularly plentiful at the moment (e.g. have less than 400 in bank at moment, but have reliable transportation). Could you offer some kind advice on how to get started?
    What is a good way to market the business?
    What customers are typically most responsive and where might they be found?
    What deals seem to attract the most people?
    If you're doing things by shovel (to start), what is a fair rate to charge?

I'm willing to start with a shovel and don't mind heavy duty, "hard" work.

Thanks!

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Part time????? So you are going to tell customers some days I will be there and some days I won't?
    You either do snow removal full time or you don't do it.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

To be truthful your not prepared for snow plowing this season. Plenty of companies are hiring shovelers get hooked up with one and learn.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Your definitely not in the snow "removal" biz..

barely snow clearing at that...

If all you have is a shovel, you won't be able to do to much, so only a few residential accounts would suit your situation...

Better hurry up, most all people that want snow services are all signed up with someone by now.

I personally would never attempt to try to clear anyone's property with only a shovel..What happens when you get dumped on @ 4am, and your very few drives will have to be cleared by 6am, and your stuck at one driveway for hours trying to shovel a foot of wet snow. You'll have a few pissed off customers, especially when they see you outside in the cold with a freaking shovel. You'll be better off with a good snow thrower...and or a PLOW. And those run more than your 400 bucks you have.

I would go work for a large snow removal contractor and learn technique and efficiency so you can please the customers you will get in the future...getting customers is pretty easy. Go on your own next season, you might have more than 400 in the account as well...lol

Hey guys...Does this guy need insurance if he only is using a shovel?...lol

5. Jack_Taylor

Guess you can't close the thread? Mostly less than helpful. Thanks anyway. No more replies please.

6. MileHigh

Oh Geez....

Some people just can't take VALUABLE criticism.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You asked and we told you. This is not a cheap business to be in. Your 400 bucks won't even cover an ad. Also your a little late trying to get customers. Guys right outside TO. have been plowing snow already this season.

8. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

no man it more like constructive criticism. We dont want you to get in trouble you know? Save up over the summer and see where you are in the fall.

9. MileHigh

I just couldn't think of that word...

10. Jack_Taylor

And it wasn't helpful. I didn't say anything about you as a person . End of story.

11. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I think I know what people are meaning my "part time," where it's not the sole (or even primary) income. Maybe the extra income, the play or beer money for some. Sure it sounds bad (part time, or "now & then" plowing.... I certainly hope most people who say it mean it the way I first mentioned).

The truth sucks sometimes, and harsh as it may have been, yeah here on November 18th everyone has a pretty good plan on who's caring for their properties. In a similar way, people don't decide in May that they're starting landscaping. Timing is everything, if you'll pardon the cliche.

Doesn't it seem people are a little less tolerant of helpful critique lately?

12. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

It's a little late to start your own snow removal buisnes this year, becous most people have allready hired a person to clear there driveway and sidewalk. This year you should look into working for someone shoveling or snowblowing. Next year if you get an early start you will probably get some buisnes. If you have more money next yaer get a snowblower they are much faster.

13. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

yeah, and we haven't even had the people that use harsh comments chime in yet. this ought to be a good one yet!:gunsfiring:

14. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Yeh just imagine what Dimitrios would have had to say. We could have lost this guy to the Dark Side :eek:

15. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

i had agreements with my neighbors growing up that when i did my driveway i would also do their driveways, 5 neighbors, $20 a driveway is $100 every time it snow's, and that was with a 2 stage snowblower which u'll have a hard time finding for less than $400, ur better of to do 2 or 3 drives like that at the most and get a job somewhere else, i mean minimum is going up to $10 something an hour in Ontario in the new year? use ur $400 and what ever else u can make to get a good used commercial 21' lawn mower, trimmer and blower and pick up 10-15 lawn cutting customers come early April and get them signed on for snow and keep growing

16. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Yea can do. Thread closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.