1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

part time/ night shift/ snow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grass disaster, Oct 26, 2006.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster Junior Member

i am considering plowing snow this year for my lawn accounts.

i would have to buy a plow for my 2500hd....that's not a problem

how big of a pain is it to plow snow with my working scheduel.

i work full time from 1:30pm to 1am (home/back home) monday through thursday 10hrs

i would have to start plowing at 2am after i get home from work. or i could take sleep for 4 hours then plow from 7-1

^are these good hours to be available for plowing?
    anyone else work 2nd shift and plow too?
  2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

It all depends when the storm ends and how intense it is. I would think that you will have a good amount of people wanting to get out before 7. Most are like 5:30 to 6:30 in the morning so they can get to work. Seems like a lot of time w/o sleep, but that is probably what you are going to have to do.payup
  3. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

In my opinion, that would be the perfect working schedual. You could go right from work to plowing till about 8 or 9AM, then catch some ZZZ's before work and do it again. I guess it all depends upon how many accounts that you plan to do, but it would work perfectly in our area.
  4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i would say no go. the little snow that i do push, it requires 24 hour babysitting. if you get a moderate snow you'll be awake two days without sleep.
  5. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

depends on your accounts.

Some school accounts, industrial, etc... you can't do during certain hours which would fit your schedule good.

It just depends on your situation and accounts.

But residential you should be fine.
  6. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

snow flies when it wants you cant say it wont snow when you work or some other time
  7. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I hope someone can help me out i have to fill out a contract for a storage center, i have to plow the main parking lot (which is aprox.10 spaces) and the rear lot which is aprox. 1000' of road with 2 structures, also snow must be piled in the very rear of lot next to dumpster. Sanding will be done at the end of every push, along with clearing of store front,sidewalk,and aprox 60 garage doors and enterance doors.
    here is my problem i normally charge by the hour, but they me to base my price per inch!!!
    1"-3", 4"-6",7"-9", and 10"12" to plow and to snow blow. And the want a price to sand.
  8. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

except different contracts have different stipulations.

as said, if you do some schools your insurance won't cover you, nor will the school allow you onsite during certain hours.

The same goes for other sites.

Residentials might require service at other hours.

It all depends on clients. I know people who only plow snow. And others who work full time.
  9. 2moresleeps

2moresleeps Senior Member
    from Ontario

I wouldnt even consider plowing with a regular job. First snowfall and youre not there....you're done.

UNLESS....you offer a price break and have them sign an agreement stating you work during xxx hours and unable to plow during those hours. Might work out.