1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Part time new guy...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Agent Orange, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Junior Member

Here's my situation...I'm semi retired,been that way for a while now.I teach Motorcycle school in the summer for pocket money and such (MSF instructor).My driveway is shared with three others(big mistake). The neighbor has a plow,but not a clue. I tried to find some local plowers last year but it didn't seem like anyone wanted to waste their time and do my drive.So I went out and bought a Western HTS plow for my 2002 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab.
    I am not looking to go into buisness big time,I just wanted someone to depend on to do MY drive and now I have that...however,after no luck finding help last year I figure I can defray the cost of my plow some and maybe make a little wintertime money also.So I'm really only looking to do some local residential stuff..came here looking for pitfalls and ideas..and maybe I can do some work in an area that seems to have fallen through the cracks here..oh..thats just SW of Denver..:D

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Insurance is the first thing you better look for.

3. Agent Orange

Suggestions on what I'll need?

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Commercial Vehicle and General Liability. Likely to run about $1800 combined.

5. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

yeah liability and commercial on vehicle, unless you get an employee, then check your state. Get a good salt/sand spreader. everyone has an opinion but I prefer the light hitch mount ones that I can load alone if your doing res(I use SNOWEX). Warning light for roof and optional but I have to have my spotlight(I use remote GO-LIGHT) to be able to see behind you when salting and around. Search on here and you will find what guys carry. may want to upgrade some truck stuff like alternator, second battery, upgraded alternator wire, other fun stuff. Timbrens are a good idea on 1/2 ton and find your ballast with the crew cab. I have some family in woodland park and friends all over colorado, where are you at. Good luck and if you have any qs ask and someone will answer you or yell at you one or the other but it is all in love of the snow I am sure.

6. Agent Orange

My address says Morrison but I'm closer to Conifer..right on 285..I ride my motorcycle down by Woodland Park all the time,about 45 minutes from me.
    I'm going to have to figure all this out..its getting expensive to get going..slow but sure...I keep seeing referals to the Timbrens..I take it some sort of suspension helper..yes?
    And when I ran a plowfinder with Western on their site it said I needed 80 lbs of ballast..seems pretty light from what I've been reading here..any good rule of thumb on that? Thanks..

7. Mick

from Maine

--------------

8. Agent Orange

Thanks Mick..

9. Mick

from Maine

I'm guessing by your screen name and what you've written that you're a VN Vet. When and what unit?

Welcome to PS.

10. Agent Orange

Sorry,no I'm not..I was actually just a hair young and missed it. the name is due to the fact I happen to like orange,have an orange HD Road Glide,orange Mustang,orange Kubota..well you get the picture..anyway a guy called me Agent Orange one time and it kind of stuck...

DSC02275.jpg