1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Part 2

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by coopdogg725, May 28, 2008.

1. coopdogg725

coopdogg725 Junior Member

I have looked all through this forum and opinions vary so much that I am confused about what I should buy. So now after reading what you snowgods have to say about the equipment I wanted to use for a huge 800 space parking lot, I have to change my plan of attack. . Lets here what you all think I should really use. I plan on using two 2500's with v plows to clean off parking area and a tractor/skid steer to stack and remove snow from parking area. What brands of compact tractors/skid steers should I look at? I plan on leaving tractor at the store for the winter so no transport is needed every snow storm. Have about $20,000 to spend so must do wisely. All opinions are greatly appreciated.

2. coopdogg725

Lol after reading that let me say I have $20,000 to put down on a new tractor/skidder before financing.

3. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

Tractor wise I'd go with the brand with a dealer thats local,easier to go for parts if needed as service is what makes the deal Deere,Kubota,Case are all great brands.

Along with a bucket for stacking,removal and possibly loading salt into v boxes have you thought of a pusher?

Your idea sounds decent to me man sit back and wait for winter payup

4. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

A snow pusher will do you wonders and you can leave it on site as well.

5. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

Agreed my plan would be this.

Tractor with a pusher (10 or 12 footer) would do the main large open areas saving half the time compared to useing just the 2 trucks/V's

One of your trucks look after the loading bay areas backdragging the out and pushing the snow to an area the tractor could get it also doing any areas the tractor cannot reach say around a cart corral or light pole bases.

Second truck can do whatever is needed assisting the other truck or be equipped with a spreader to salt the lot behind everyone else

Wal-Mart lot or similar sized lot with this set up would take around an hour to hour and a half,really look into a pusher it will save you so much time compared to a truck saving you big money and in some cases you may not even need the second truck on site.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Just for rough figuring a 12 ft pusher on a 65-95 hp will easily handle 700 parking stalls all on it's own, so if you have a truck to help out with plowing and salting you will be fine with 800. It would be nice to have something for backup just in case something breaks. The tractor and pickup will be able to plow 1" in 1.5 hours and then add an hour for every inch of additional accumulation. You'll also be looking at 3-4 ton of salt/application depending temp and amount of snow.

7. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Listen to Dave here. He knows whats going on.

Btw. Hows planting season going Dave?

Peterbilt

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It was really wet and now it's really really dry, farmers are never happy, Almost done planting, just have a couple days left, thanks for asking,

9. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

You gonna be speaking at SIMA in Buffalo? Where do we buy tickets? LOL

10. coopdogg725

Wow thxs guys, this info rocks...actually real nice to hear from the hardcore guys on this subject. Its great when seasoned veterans pass on good info to help the younger guys out. Unfortunately most forums have more experienced guys riping on the ideas from the young lings. So thxs again and keep coming with those great ideas.

11. coopdogg725

ok just got parking lot plans...total sq footage of this monster is over 300,000 sq feet plowable and 2,000 sq feet of sidewalks....anyone do anything this size?

12. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I do.

One Volvo L20 loader with 8 to 12ft expanding pusher and a truck to cut in around islands.
    Most of the time the Loader can do this account in about 2 to 2.5 hrs. But once in a light fluffy 2" he got done in 90 minutes. By HIMSELF!! I have good operators!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes if the snow gets deep we take the L70 up to help out, plus add a second truck.

We have been on this lot before with out the pusher. (Put our angle blade on the loader to wing back a subdivision we do) (Didn't have time to go in and get then box on) It took the loader with 9ft blade, 3 trucks with 8fts and plow wings 2.5 hrs on a 2 to 3' snow.

See the difference?

Peterbilt.

13. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I also now of a local guy that does a fairly large office complex that has about 450000 to 600000Sqft of lot.

He uses a deere tractor with a 14ft pusher, a couple skid loaders with snow buckets and TEN plow trucks (the tractor, 1 skidloader and 8 of the trucks are all SUBS!!!!!!!)

Bids the big stuff and can't handle it himself!!

Peterbilt

14. coopdogg725

Holy cow...wonder what that would cost subcontracting like that.

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Actually Peter brings up some interesting ideas. Do you know anyone with a loader or backhoe that could sub for you? We have 5 subs with tractors that work for and they use our blades and our fuel. We pay them a set fee for the entire winter and guarentee them 150 hrs. Treat your subs very well and both of you will come out ahead.

16. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Go on E-bay and buy that 1974 Oshkosh with 24 foot blade. It is at $3500 now, but has not hit the reserve. That is what you need to do this job. Then get your torch and cut 4 feet off each side of the blade so it ends up at 16 feet.