1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

parking

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by ppkgmsy, Feb 3, 2015.

1. ppkgmsy

ppkgmsy Member
    from Vermont

There might be an obvious answer to this question, but I'm sill a new guy and I'm stumped. Why do guys park their trucks with the plow raised? Doesn't keeping the plow raised put more pressure on the piston, seals, etc? Wouldn't it be better to lower the plow and take all the stress off?

2. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

The plow should be on the ground when parked for any period of time like over night or just when you aren't going to be using it for a little. Leaving it up only puts unnessecary stresses on the plow and frame of the vehicle.

3. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

Because they are even newer to the game then you are. For me I always lower the plow unless I am going to be parked for less than five minutes.

Michael

4. ppkgmsy

ppkgmsy Member
    from Vermont

Thanks, guys, that's what I figured. I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

And for safety.
    if it drops while you adding window wash or checking the oil. you could loos a few toes.
    or on the kids toes/leg while they are playing around the truck.

As a equipment operator we are trained to lower all implements when parked so no one gets hurt.

6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Put my plow on the ground every time I get out of the truck unless I am going for a cool photo op. :laughing:

7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

You mean there's nobody in that truck....lol

[​IMG]

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Is it parked or just pausing for a glamor shoot.

For The swim suit addition of PS.
    :drinkup:

9. NoProblem

NoProblem Member

Good question ppkgmsy - I was wondering the same thing. I tried to figure out why I've seen them raised while parked too - only thing I could think of was that they didn't want it frozen to the ground lol.

10. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

There is one reason no one mentioned. When running into a store for lets say coffee, it is common practice for some to keep the plow up for those few minutes you are gone to prevent someone from detaching it on you. Then you back up and bam it's on the ground with no easy way to get it back on since it wouldn't be on the stand.

11. jerpa

jerpa Member

Is this really a common occurrence in your area? And is this a friendly plow jockey joke or just a d**k maneuver from competition?

12. remac

remac Junior Member

I always put the blade down, safety first. Five minutes or five days.
    If I am going to be parking for a few days, especially not plowing,
    I will put a couple wood blocks under the blade to reduce surface contact.

This helps prevent the blade from freezing to the ground,
    usually you can break the blade loose but why strain the system?
    Also, if the ground warms up a bit and the blade sinks in,
    you can get frozen in solid and can't break loose.

I have left a few wood blocks froze in the ground til Spring,
    but better that than my blade, or breaking something to get loose.
    Plus less ground contact means less corrision on your cutting edge.

13. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Yep, never heard of this happening. Some random @ss unhooking plows and waiting for the driver to back away. :help:

14. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

Pretty sure I saw someone on here post a thread about almost getting his plow stolen off his truck while at lowes.

We had a string of robberies this past year in our area. One guy had a hook lift stolen with a skid steer on a trailer and it was never recovered.

15. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

16. shaffecv

shaffecv Junior Member

Keeping your cylinder up when plow is off or storing will help to keep the inside of the cylinder bore from corroding which could tear the rod piston seal and cause a leak.
    The cylinder only gets fluid on the bottom side of the piston. By keeping it up you are keeping the cylinder full of oil.

17. ppkgmsy

ppkgmsy Member
    from Vermont

Hadn't thought of that. Thanks.

18. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Then you expose the cylinder to the elements, which long term means rust and pitting

19. shaffecv

shaffecv Junior Member

The rod is chrome so unless it has been nicked very hard or is a poor quality chrome job from the factory, it is going to take moisture and road debris a lot better than the bare steel barrel of the cylinder.

20. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

A friend told me a story of when he used to haul grain to the Twin Cities back when the big companies where trying to push out the independent drivers. the trucks were all lined up waiting to be unloaded in the morning, and the drivers were all at the nearest bar. Of course the two groups got into a brawl. The next morning when the company trucks fired up they all pulled out and dropped their trailers. Someone went around and pulled all the kingpins, and the independents got unloaded first.

I know I'd have a miserable time trying to re attach my Boss in the field.