1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

parking ticket w/ plow truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Walls_landscape, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Walls_landscape

Walls_landscape Junior Member

Does anyone know anything about the law about parking a 1 ton dump truck w/ commercial plates on the street? Last night i got a $50.00 ticket for parking on the street. The violation was for non passenger vehicle. My truck is not lettered up and is my everyday driver, what am i suppose to do when i go home at night. Is this a city law or state? I tried to find some info on this violation but couldn't find anything, even on the MA RMV web site. :realmad:

2. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

Dont know about Mass. But around me any commercial plates can not be parked on the street overnight.

3. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

Same thing happened to me last year.
    I parked at my girlfriends house while I took a nap after plowing.
    Come outside and see that I got a parking ticket:cry: .
    I went to the village and they said that there was an ordinance that stated no parking on any streets from December 1st - April 1st funny thing is that they said it was common knowledge. Well before I forked over the $60.00 I wanted to see a sign that said no parking. There response was that there does not have to be a sign on every street and that it says it on the welcome signs when you enter the village. Oh well Just another money making scheme for the village I guess.

Jason

4. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

park on side streets that are not heavily traveled and drop the plow in your driveway.
    good luck

5. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

In my town there is a law no parking of dual wheeled vehicles on city streets overnight. Someone important must of hit one at sometime and said you know that shouldnt be on the road.:gunsfiring:

6. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

My guess is city. If you even have a 1 ton single rear wheel and its in your driveway and the police realize that its a 1ton, they can write you a ticket because your not sopossed to have anything over a 3/4 ton in your driveway. I mean comon, who are they to tell what we can and cant have. I could understand parking a semi in my drive, but a 1ton, comon.

I'd personally take it to court and fight it, chances are you'll win. But then again, when ever I get a ticket I take it to court (only had 2), it doesnt hurt.

Its weird though, there are some super nice cops around here, and some real mean ones who try to play out their role of being Mr. Big Bad Authority Cop. LOL. For the majority of em, there just like us too.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2005
  7. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

that stinks, fight it BTW what town was it??

8. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Surely based on local ordinance! Most towns want to restrict overnight commercial parking to keep tractor trailer rigs out. Strangely Manhattan has an ordinance like yours! Vehicles licensed COMMERCIAL can double park or sit some places that noncomm would get ticketed... Typical urban moneymaking scheme...

9. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I don't understand how they can tell you what you can park in your driveway. Sure, there's rules about running a business from your home, but I've never heard of any rule about parking a commercial vehicle in a driveway. It is private property, right? I parked a 35 ton slider in my driveway all the time, there's nothing anybody can say to me. And I'm not zoned commercially. I'm sure congested neighborhoods or condo complexes, anything with a homeowners association could probably tell you that, but not a private residence, and even then a cop wouldn't go to a condo complex and tell someone to move. As for on-street parking, I guess I can see where they would adopt an ordinance to prevent trucks from clogging up the roads, and I would assume there was a problem with it in the first place or they wouldn't make the rule. Doesn't everyplace where it snows have a winter parking ban? Everywhere around here does, and there are signs all over. I would think a plow operator above all else would know not to park on the street, since there are obviously going to be municipal plows and sanders coming through. But if it were in your driveway and you got a ticket, I'd fight it like hell. All I can say is, if you live somewhere where the local government tells you what you can and can't park in your driveway, you should move back to America.

10. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

What if it's a 1ton Family vehical Crew Cab, What you not even in business just have a camper and a big family ? Sounds like they are full of BS to me

11. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Three questions. First is --is there a parking ban where it was parked--2nd you said parked in street correct? Commercial plates, but not lettered? The last one I have got popped for a couple of times and usually after explaining that I have had the plates for over 20 years, they let that slide. They want all commercial trucks to be lettered over a certain GVW(I forget what they told me, but I was just under 10k and when they looked at reg and it was in my name not a corp name. My guess would be that where you live has a parking ban(odd and even)--go to the police station and see if you can see the officer in charge and ask him to explain the reason for the ticket---Just so you won't get another!

Best of luck!!!

12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

A round here its no parking from Nov 1st to Apr 1st from 1am to 7am thats so the town plow trucks can plow curb to curb not zig zag everywhere. No real wieght limit.

13. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

In my town there is no parking over night, ever. I like it like that. Everyone has a driveway and it keeps the streets less conjested.

14. WBH Grounds

WBH Grounds Junior Member

The lettering has nothing to do with it. They classify it commerical by weight. It also doesn't help that its a dump truck. This same thing happened to me two years ago, so I just parked it in my drive way every other day, because here there a 24 or 48 hour ordinance on parking that stuff in the street or your driveway. Besides, they should've given you a warning. I'd fight it or check into your local city ordinances. Theres always a cop around when you don't need one!!!!! Find out who told on you and then plow the entire street into their drive way. Thats what I did and I never had a problem with the guy ever since. And the nice thing was the people who saw me do it said nothing cause I plowed their drives to. Revenge is soooo sweet!!:cool:

15. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Just part of the reason I moved to Alaska.

16. VAhighwayman

VAhighwayman Senior Member

I just might think about that...Alaska uh?..gotta give that some thought

17. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Basically the answer has been stated- there are parking bans in most cities and towns in MA from Nov 1 through April 1- IF the town/city involved has one you violated it- period. Commercial or non commercial has nothing to do with it. No parking on city streets (all around me have said bans) means no parking on city streets.

Lettering of commercial vehicles is not legally required in MA and I doubt it is in any state- if any city/town tickets on those grounds fight it- make them show you the ordenance then SUE. There is no reason for a comm plate to be required lettering reguardless of GVWR.

18. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Well IMO they wont give even a DRW 1 ton a ticket, unless it has a dump bed, and is from 1970 and is all rusted out. If they did give a SRW 1ton family truck a ticket that'd be bs and im sure a judge would take it off. Either way its BS that the city tells you what you can and can not have in your driveway.

19. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

i got a ticket for parking my tow truck on the street. it said no commercial vehicles in residential zone parking

20. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

in my neck of the woods its illegal to park any commerial vehicle in a residential area even if its in the driveway. I have gotten several tickets so i now park in the shop.