1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Parking spot for plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by timsjeep, Nov 19, 2002.

1. timsjeep

timsjeep Senior Member

I am trying to find a spot at my house to park the plow this winter in between storms. I have a good spot in mind but its not on level ground. It slants down to the left. Is it hard to mount each time if its on an incline? The truck will be on the same incline so they should line up, just thought I'd ask. I have always had one of the old "once its on, its on for winter" plows and I just got a new Meyer 7.5 with the MD mount. Any advice here? Tim

2. long0

long0 Senior Member

As long as you can get to it with snow on the ground, I think you should be ok. Keep a block under the a-frame so it does'nt freeze to the ground.

never mind: it never get cold enough down there to freeze does it? :D :waving:

Andy

3. timsjeep

timsjeep Senior Member

Not lately, man its warm out. 65 today

4. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

My first time hooking up,about 6 or 7 years ago to a Fisher MM plow was quite a procedure to say the least!The dealer walked me through it on a sunny day on his paved driveway when the plow was installed"it's really quite fool proof"he says,and it was simple,that day.Now 3 months later,first storm of about 10" i had the plow outside were i unhooked on a nice sunny day,pulled up to it all lined up only to find the truck about 6" higher than the plow,well you say,"shovel the area in front of the truck stupid!" but being your first time by yourself in the dark in the middle of a storm sometimes you dont think reasonably.Anyways to make a long story short,it took 45 minutes and a floor jack and a ton of swearing to mount my Minute Mount plow my first time!Couldnt be easier now that i have done it so many times but keep this in mind when you unhook!Good luck

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Arc Burn, I think everybody with a MM has done that :realmad: . Since I plan to leave one of my plows outside this year, what I'm going to try is putting a tarp over the plow and about four feet behind the frame. Then, when it's snowed and I'm ready to hook up, I can pull off the tarp and have bare ground for the truck to be lined up.

6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I hook the plow up before the storm so i have never really had that problem with a MM. Of course now all the plows are inside which is the best solution.

7. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

Timsjeep,

You shouldn't have too much trouble hooking that back up. I have the same set up (MDII). When I drop mine I, I lay a 2x6 under the blade and a 4'x4' sheet of plywood under the jack. With the spring on the pins. if you are close to the hole you can man handle the plow alittle to get it hooked up. When I first got mine I took it home from the dealer and hook & unhooked a dozen times or so to get the hang of it. It is really a no brainer and should not take more than a few minutes on good day. Maybe 10/15 minutes on a bad day, you should be fine.

Mark ;)

8. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I dont miss Meyer at all

Boss... 2 pins and a switch.... unplug and back away. 35 seconds!

Reattach... plug in... 2 pins and a switch... drive away 45 seconds max!

(and that is the pump and lights and all)

9. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

You'll find you stay much drier if you hook up ahead of the storm, you don't have to monkey with frozen hose fittings, and you have an opportunity to troubleshoot any problems without bringing on panic. I sleep a lot better knowing everything's ready to go when I get up.

10. timsjeep

timsjeep Senior Member

Thanks for the input. So far, no info on the non level ground. Any idea as to if its a problem or not. Thanks, tim

11. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I'm not familiar with Meyers current hook up procedure. My Diamond was pretty fussy about being on level ground, it was very difficult to do otherwise. I had an older style Western that wasn't so bad, and a Meyers from the 70s that was OK too.

Why don't you try it in good weather and see how it works out? If it gives you trouble, you'd have time to rig up some blocking to compensate.

12. J.Henderson

J.Henderson Senior Member

The western ultra mount remains leval at all times regardless of the plow being level. I guess it swivels somehow.

13. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

My MM hooks up much easier on level ground,I find myself "pushing" the plow around with the truck when i leave it on unlevel ground,so i would say find as level a spot as possible,it will only make life easier!Ditto on hooking up before storms,i just learned the hard way thats all!

14. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

you gotta hook up before the snow, no panicing, rushing cursing, etc...

15. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

Only one way to find out... I've been practicing. Got all excited when i saw snow in the forecast, but now it's gone again. Long term shows some a week out, but go much past 3 days, and they're totally guessing based on past patterns, IMO.

16. timsjeep

timsjeep Senior Member

Well, heres an update. I got the truck home and dumped the plow off and hooked it back up. No problems. Its a PITA where its on level or unlevel ground but not any different. I think I will leave it there and plan on hooking up before the storm. Thanks again for all the info and advice. You guys are great. Tim