1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

parking ramps

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowman55, Jan 27, 2012.

1. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

We do several parking ramps. I was told today by the engineer of 1 of them that it had a wheel load rating of 2000#. Why would they build something like that? A 3/4 ton pickup with plow and ballast is over 8000#. These ramps equal 3 acres and they want them salted, I can't even use a tailgate spreader and be within these weight specs. I'm now going to have to plow it with a s185 and poly plow (which is going to be right at 8000#) and hand spread 3 acres ever time.
    Why the he!! would they engineer such a ramp in Mn?
  2. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Put a salt box on the bobcat... Crazy situation
  3. snowman55

Any one else do ramps and run into these kind of weight restrictions?
  4. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

We were quoting on one, similar but didn't end up getting it. They required rubber edge plows and the clearance since it was the top level of a parking garage was pretty tight, I think just over 6'. We were going to plow with our smallest skid steer, NH LS170 and then sidewalk crew was going to salt with walk behind spreaders. Also any snow piles had to be pushed off the upper deck down onto the ground (3 stories) and then loaded into a truck and hauled off site.

I am actually kinda glad we didn't get it. It probably would have been a real PITA
  5. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

crap dude if it snows enough you will be over that limit without anything but snow on it!
  6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Maybe you could use one of those motorized fertilizer spreaders that you stand on to spread the salt.
  7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Wheel load of 2K X 4 wheels = an 8K truck. No

I'm not being a smart ass but wheel load is not the same as axle load or GVW?
  8. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

We do a few ramps. We are over weight on some I know. But like mentioned snow load alone puts many over weight if they are that low. They can be good money makers for these very reasons though.
  9. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

I wonder how much weight would be on a parking level if every parking spot had a car parked in it verses a empty level and a truck plow and spreader and snow hmmmmm
  10. P.L.

P.L. Member
    from usa

A gator/toolcat/usv with a plow and small 1/3 yard spreader would be perfect. If you could buy one and justify using it troughout the year it may work well.
  11. G.Landscape

from Ontario

+1 .....Didn't even consider that.....that would be a perfect application.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

You will be fine, the rating is 2k per wheel so 8k per vehicle times x amount of parking spots. A buddy does a few ramps not sure what his ramps are rated at but I've helped him haul off the top deck of them before with the baby dump. You'll probably have to take your plow off to get in the ramp anyway so you can subtract that weight
  13. G.Landscape

from Ontario

Not sure why your multiplying the amount of spaces? What does that mean? The truck is still spreading the weight over the same area as a typical car.

Our 1ton mason dump weights in at 9200lbs without the salter/Salt/Plow. And since he has been told now by the engineer, if he risks it and damages something its coming out of his pocket, insurance probably wouldn't cover that since he knew he was in the wrong......$$$$$$
  14. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I wouldn't lose sleep of going overweight. I ran 3/4 ton pickups with fully loaded Vboxes and Boss v plows and never had a problem. It sounds like the engineer was trying to scare you. The actual weight needed to cause a problem is probaby triple or more of what he told you.
  15. snowman55

As explained to me by the engineer wheel load is per wheel of vehicle. yes the ramp can hold 100,000s # total,but the seams and joints are only rated for 2000# per wheel at any given time. overweight can cause cracking of pins and failure of seals.

I'm sure he is understating it's true tolerance but now I know so I have no choice but follow his guidelines.

I just can't get over the fact they would build something like in Minnesota. It's fairly new.
  16. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

3 acres by hand? Big whup.

Most sidewalk crews I know do that much. And their stuff isn't wide open like your ramps and decks are.
  17. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

I dont think that engineer knows what he is talking about... He may be confused on what H20 loading is. I have never heard of that... How would you construct the parking ramp and other features of the structure with construction equipment with less that a 2000 lb wheel load. Does not make sense to me at all...
  18. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

The other things about that rating is it would have to be at full capacity for that rating. The rating has to be for the highest load at which point it would mean 2000# per wheel when the ramp is at full capacity which I still believe is low.
    I understand your concerns but at the same time would not over stress yourself about it.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

20. Mike NY

Mike NY Senior Member
    from zone 5

A tracked skid would have much lower ground pressure. Not sure if this would translate into wheel load or not?