1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

parking outdoors with bulk

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by kc2006, Nov 1, 2012.

1. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

I'm looking at buying a kodiak and it's too big to get into the garage, I'm going to run a vbox on it and am having concerns about leaving it outdoors loaded with salt. I buy salt from a friend that is stored indoors and is dry as can be. Do you think I'll have issues with leaving it out?

Someone said if you put a shop light in the vbox under the tarp it'll keep moisture burned off. Any suggestions?

2. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Keep lots of windshield washer fluid handy.

I can't see how 1 light at the top would keep the bottom from freezing - which is where the problem/s will be. Wind always created any problems I had in the past.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  3. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

The salt may be dry, but the moisture in the air may not be. It only takes ONE time to hand shovel frozen salt out of a vbox at 5 AM, before you learn very quickly what not to do again. But when it happened to me, it was very wet and got very cold. Can you find a building that you can put a torpedo heater in? Ask around, put an ad on Craigslist. Barter for salting a lot if and when you can put your truck in their garage.

4. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

The salt may be dry, but the moisture in the air may not be. It only takes ONE time to hand shovel frozen salt out of a vbox at 5 AM, before you learn very quickly what not to do again. But when it happened to me, it was very wet and got very cold. Can you find a building that you can put a torpedo heater in? Ask around, put an ad on Craigslist. Barter for salting a lot if and when you can put your truck in their garage.

5. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

NO NO NO on storing outside in the spreader.

One time like someone said is all it'll take and I think we've all been thru it.

Windshield washer fluid, maybe for you but didn't even make a dent in mine.

Once at a carwash, they were pissed, and once at home with hot water running thru a hose. 3000# of salt juice on the ground.

6. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

Thanks guys, thats what I suspected. Sucks because my garage is heated but this truck won't fit.

7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I once used a little space heater, it is an enormous waste of elec but it works. Uh oh!!! Maybe when we're surveyed by the spreader manufacturers we could request heater lines that can be plugged in at night. Loading up the night before has huge advanttges.

8. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

This is why I am glad I use liquid. Never goes bad, doesn't freeze and can sit in the truck all the time.

metro-melt.com

9. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

We've left treated salt in the V box for days on end after dud events/extra material. Never would I dream of doing that with just straight salt.

10. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Treated salt wouldn't be too bad. But untreated wouldn't be fun.

You could always buy a few of these and stick them down in the salt. 2' long so should go most the way down.

http://www.amazon.com/Kats-15200-Dipstick-Style-Heater/dp/B000BO74DG/ref=zg_bs_15725531_13

Also throwing a canvas tarp over it and have it go down past the bed will help. It will keep the wind off the box and believe me, just keeping the wind off helps a lot. I used to park my 2nd truck outside in the open and it was a PIA to start at 2am. Once I built my lean-two it was a heck of a lot easier to start.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  11. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

You ever use one of those heaters? At 90 watts that's not bad, even if you had to get 5 of them your only at 450 watts. Block heaters are usually what 1000-1500watt.

12. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Nope, have no clue how good they work. You could get one to try it in a bucket of water or something.

13. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

Yea I might try that. Fill a bucket with salt and see how far it'll heat.

I left my truck out one time last year for a couple days and the whole thing was fine except down at the opening where the auger was. I bet putting one or two of them in the bottom would keep it good even.

14. condo plow

condo plow Senior Member
    from chicago

We had the same problem with untreated salt it would freeze on us. We used a lot of windshield fluid but this even made down time for us. We heard about magic salt. We tried it in a few vboxs and it did not freeze at all. Long as we got it dry and kept the vboxs covered. Their are other treated salt that gives the same outcome as magic salt..good luck