1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

parking lots

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowplowpro, Jan 26, 2009.

1. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

how do you guys find parking lots to plow do you just wait for someone to hopefully call you or do you drive around looking and stopping in or what i cant seem to find any or maybe i am doing something wrong and the pricing how do you price per push sit and say ok i push 20 times already in a blizzard you could never keep count.

2. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

I called a few places that knew me and picked up a job or two, some of the stuff I do is subbed out to me, and some residential lawn customers called me and asked if I could push their apartment complex that they manage, etc. It comes with word of mouth, time, and name recognition.

3. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Many commercial properties are run by management companies. I would start by inquiring with them. You could also aproach known removal contractors to see if they need any subs. Yes you can and must keep count of pushes during a blizzard. When I approach a lot I come up with a plan or system of the way i will plow the lot (a strategy if you will). It may be altered or improved once I begin plowing or at subsequent pushes. If you do not just push randomly it will be easier to know and note (in your daily log) when you have completed a "push".

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Start talking to the business's in Aug or Sept. Keep after them till you get an answer. It takes time to get a reputable and good business going. Be patient.
    If you plow a lot 20 times in one blizzard you are doing something wrong. Most Ihave ever plowed the same place during a BIG storm is 3 times andthen maybe a following clean up a day later. You try to bill someone 20 times in one storm and you won't plow for them again.

5. MattyK

MattyK Senior Member
    from Boston

i have no advice for you in regards to acquiring lots. however a cheap simple way to keep track of the number of pushes:

http://www.tallycounterstore.com/hand_tally_counter_1.html

20 hours into a storm i can't remember either. i hate tallying and all the other nonsense. definitely easier this way