1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Parking lot

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by qualitylandscap, Oct 2, 2008.

1. qualitylandscap

qualitylandscap Member

I am about to put a bid in on a parking lot that is 492,320sgft. How much would you bid at for plowing then salt?

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Your kidding right? What are the specs?

3. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

i think he might be serious dave :rolleyes: lol. im sorry but this has been a long time coming...if guys cant bid their lots alone, are they qualified to maintain them?

4. qualitylandscap

qualitylandscap Member

i already summited a bid in for it i was just wondering what other people came out with. Will be running 4 trucks with boss 8ft vees:gunsfiring:.

5. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

This what I would do divide what you charge per hr by the rate you would get for an acre then multiply by pie then take the square root of that # and multiply by3 and there is your plow #
    Salt your on you own

6. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Post a pic of the lot. Do you have enough equipment to plow a 10 acre lot? That's huge :eek:

7. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Earl quit giving out my formula! i told you that in secrecy :sleeping:

PS- those 4 trucks and Boss V's are gonna be getting a serious workout

8. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

What was your number?

9. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

I would eyeball it up...then give it my best educated guess!:rolleyes:

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Most 10 acre lots have certain specs of how they want it plowed but for general pricing, I would bill out 10 hours at your rate and at min 4 ton of salt at your price. My prices mean nothing to you. Good Luck.

11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You're right, I'd figure at least 50 tons per time. All by push spreaders.

12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

They do?

I prefer bigearl's pricing structure better. Much more scientific.

13. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

At your rate youd only have to bill it for 3 tymusicwesport

14. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

You will have a tough time with just four trucks on there, you might want to consider buying or renting a loader with a 14ft box or bigger and leaving it there for the winter.

15. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Well he already bid it and that would be cutting into his profit now. This kid is 18 and getting a job this big. Where is he located. toledo oh or something. I went to college there maybe i know what job he is talking about.

16. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

Help

I think when some of us ask for some assistance on quotes the more experienced or full itme plow companies would be more inclined to help. I plow for extra money and to keep busy during the winter. So when I'm told charge what I need to make an hour, well I really don't need to make anything. I'm asking so I know what industry rates are I don't want to give a low quote and have the customer use that to beat down somebody else's price when plowing may be that guys bread and butter. I ask so I can help maintian prices in my area not drive them down, because when I drive them down everyone complains that I'm lowballing. I don't understand why everyones pricing is kept like some sort of trade secret. maybe everyone is guilty of lowballing that's why no one answers seriously. I am more than qualified to plow any contract I have and I'm properly insured. But it's not my full time business or what puts food on my table. I mostly sub-contract so I don't quote that often but amy need help when I do I thought that's what this site was for.

17. scitown

scitown Senior Member

The problem is prices vary so widely from county to county never mind state to state it is almost impossible to give someone an exact quote for their area. They can be "helped" by saying " Quote your hourly, times X hours" . In your case you still have to kinda know how much you need to make an hour. If not you are plowing for free. You could save money by staying home and watching it snow out the window. Just figuring out your MPG on your truck and the price of your com. insurance is in deed figuring out what you have to make per hour. Unless you have an oil well and refinery lying around and own Geiko insurance, you could be taking bread off your own table instead of breaking even. I do agree that some that post snide remarks can be very unhelpful but hey thats how forums work.

18. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

042500hd - In this particular case the original poster says "he's about to put a bid in..." and then 20 minutes later he said he already put a bid in :dizzy:

The misinformation is what led to the thread taking a left turn. I think in most cases when someone seeks information from the forum it's given to them quickly and without any snippy remarks.

Check out the snow melter thread and you'll see a perfect example of the way information can be exchanged without anyone making sarcastic remarks.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  19. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

This one probably could have been handled better considering the job. I will wing it and say just under five k a push. No idea on what a seasonal would be how many storms you get on average?, But im really not qualified to give advice since im not in your area and i dont have a loader.Cant help you on salt either all i hear is its hard to come by this year.
    Better to find someone in your direct area, after the bidding closes to see if your in line.

20. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

$4.11 sound right?:confused: