1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

parking lot vs. sidewalk

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by turbo5560, Oct 19, 2008.

1. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

so it seems on here that the range of salt is about 17 lbs per 1000 sq ft. correct me if i am wrong, but that seems to be the average amount. And i am assuming that is for parking lots.
    Now would you figure that same amount for sidewalks? So if i have 6,000 sq ft. side walks i would use just over 2 50# bags of salt. Correct? Just seems a little on the low side.
    Let me know if i am missing something here.
  2. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

what is the length and width? 1500x4? 2000x3? or bigger?

it does seem alittle off for sidewalks. to be safe you can definately use more than less. 25lb per would probably be a better number to work with, ive never calculated for sidewalks before though.

maybe the long time pros will chime in with there numbers.
  3. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Between various posts and the salt company themselves I have been using a variation of;

3600 sq ft == 50 lbs
    an square acre is 43560 sq feet

((W x L) / 1000 ) * 10lbs ) == pounds needed, you may change the 10 for 15 for heavier spread.

I believe it truly does vary based on sidewalk, lot, temperature, material, spreader.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

don't forget the person doing the salting can make a difference too.
    You are covering the same amount of sq foot on a sidewalk as you do a lot.
  5. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Troy man, maybe mount a spreader on that big butt snowblower of yours and get it all done in one pass - And I'm willing to bet with enough time spent at Logan's and all the extra parts at Brandons - we could come up with some kind of seat and ya can ride that thing around :dizzy:
  6. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

When I calculate usage on sidewalks, a standard 4 or 5 foot sidewalk that is, I throw the 17 pounds per square foot out the window. I calculate one 50 pound bag per 100 feet.
    Here is why:
    -Overspreading, a lot of it is going to end up in the grass and in snow banks. Operators that are cold or in a hurry and are pushing the spreader at too fast a clip are the real killer on this issue!

-Most sidewalks are concrete, the light color of concrete as opposed to black asphalt doesn't warm up, or retain heat as well as asphalt and this makes it necessary to use more salt.

-Sidewalks (usually) don't have vehicular traffic that spreads the salt around and melts snow and ice

-Sidewalks are for walking, we are usually more careful (lay down more salt) with pedestrian areas

At least thats what I think!
  7. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

I would say this is a very fair estimate. Temperature plays into it too. I agree that a good portion of the salt is ending up in the grass or whatever off to the side.