1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Parking lot signs???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ToyotaPower, Apr 10, 2003.

1. ToyotaPower

ToyotaPower Senior Member

I looked up and did a search but found nothing of use regarding sign usage in commercial parking lots.

My question is: Does anyone who snowplow commercial parking lots put up or mount any signs on the rear of the store walls?

Reason for signs, avoiding possible Law Suits...I was thinking of posting a sign stating, "ICY CONDITIONS, BE CAREFUL" or "ICY CONDITIONS, MAY BE SLIPPERY" or "DANGEROUS, ICY CONDITIONS".

What do guy thinks? Any other idea's would is great...Does anyone else post signs in the beginning of the snow season then take them off?

A metal signs (2 x 3 ) colors white background with red lettering. :waving:
  2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

This would be a good question for John Since he has some big commercial lots.No matter what you do or where you post them I think you would still be in trouble if some one fell.But every one should know to take caution in bad weather and during the winter ,but today every one is sue happy so to answer your question I don't just have insurance .
  3. ToyotaPower

Cat320, I don't understand your last sentence, What don't you have?:confused:
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Never seen anything like that before,around here anyways.I don't think it would hold up in court.

I don't think it will do much good.As a contractor we are supposed to prevent these problems you want to warn them about,and now we put signs up to tell people we aren't doing our job ?

It would be kinda like the " CAUTION : HOT " writing you see on coffe cups nowadays.If someone buys a coffee and thinks it's not going to be hot,they should get their head checked.Didn't help anyways,as someone sued and got millions for spilling hot coffee on themselves.

The only signs we have in place,or make sure the property owner has in place are for parking designation and enforcement.This way if cars are parked illegally,we just call a tow truck.
  5. ToyotaPower

The owner of the property spoke to his lawyer regarding this matter. His lawyer recommended the signs, I am trying to get the signs made for him. I will probably be the guy posting the sign at the beginning of the season and taking them off at the end of the season. Not comfortable doing this due to liability factor if someone falls:mad:
  6. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

I was actually considering something like that

I was going to have custom signs made up Like the Road signs the highway crews use

You know big Orange diamond shaped signs that show the MEN WORKING SYMBOL.

But I was going to say Caution Snow Removal Vehicles in Use or something to that nature.

Didn't do it, signs were rather pricey.:eek:
  7. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Re: I was actually considering something like that

I had the same idea once, but I figured if vehicles won't yield to you, when you are going straight at them, blade down, strobes and amber lights flashing, no sign is going to help make them aware that you are working. :realmad: And, it is real easy for people to say "I didn't see the signs"....

8. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Toyota Power I meant to hyphen it I don't have signs i just have insurance for slip and fall like every one else does.I feel that no matter how many signs you put up some one will still sue and say they did not see it.
    For example you can have a no trespassing sign on your property but some one can come on it,slip and fall and then sues the insurance will still pay a nuisance claim.
  9. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I remember hearing somewhere that a person with a nasty dog who puts up a "Beware of Dog" type of sign is leaving themself open to a greater chance of a liability claim than someone who hasn't posted such a sign. The reasoning is that the fact that they bothered to post such a sign *proves* they knew in advance that their dog posed a hazard. A perversion of logic, to be sure, but that seems to be the way the legal system works sometimes. It seems the same sort of case could be made against a property owner and their winter weather services provider if they allowed slippery conditions to prevail....
  10. ToyotaPower

Cat320, I agree in your logic and it make sense... But if the owner of the property wants to put up signs and pay for them.

If he sleeps better each nights for having the signs up, so be it.

The signs will get made and go up on the walls in the parking lot.
  11. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

If the owner wants them and will pay for the signs and for you to put them up and down all the more you will make.Just one question I thought that i read that a lawyer thought it was a good idea.Now does this leave you unresponsable if something happens when the signs are up and you do the best job you can? Just woundering because we had something similar but nothing to do with ice or snow but every one in the building i was working on had posted letters and sent one to each condo and tenant in the building.And some one fell and still sued.
  12. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I can just see it:

CAUTION: Snow or ice may be slick:rolleyes:
  13. ToyotaPower

Cat320, The owner's lawyer stated that to him and he suggested the signs to me...I'm asking the member what they think...