1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

parking light short

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Chevytruck85, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Chevytruck85

Chevytruck85 Senior Member

I keep blowing the fuse for my parking light circuit on my 85 chevy k-10 but I don't even know were to start looking for the short because it could be so many different things on the truck let me know if anyone has any ideas. thanks

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The first place I always start when looking for a short is any added on accessories..like a trailer plug, or a plow harness or extra lighting...You just have to start with the basics and start isolating one section at a time and work your way back to the fuse panel. On the older GM trucks like your '85 it's a little easier to to do because you can unplug the wiring harness's at the firewall bulkhead connector where they enter the cab. All the rear lighting wires are all in one plug, all the front lighting is in another plug. If you disconnect the plug and it stops blowing the fuse, then you know the problem is in that specific harness. Then you just continue narrowing it down from there..

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Also look at the bulbs. I helped a buddy with his Caviler with the same short. We look at all the wiring and plugs. Nothing then I got the bright idea to look at bulbs. One had part of the filament holder bent over making a direct short.