1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Parking Lamp Remains on after turned off

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by NTO, Feb 17, 2014.

1. NTO

NTO Junior Member

Hey gang....

I have a VMD and my Right parking lamp is brighter than the Left side. I don't have turn signal on the right and it remains on when I shut the truck down. I'm pretty sure it's a grounding problem, but not sure where to look.

Is it in the harness by the relay pack or should I check the connector at the light?

Truck is a 2013 GMC 2500HD

2. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

That's a strange one. Has it always been like that? Did the installer use the GM upfitter adapter or the bulbs connectors (HB3/H11)? The upfitter adapter is always better (plug and play) because of some polarity variation in the GM headlight harnesses, but if your high and low work fine, your adapter must be installed OK.

One possibility is that the park/turn bulb is loose in the socket so the contacts aren't lining up right. You might able to see this - or worst case open up the light and check/twist the bulb.

3. NTO

NTO Junior Member

Everything worked fine at first but someone I work with noticed it one morning after I was done plowing. Been like that ever since. I did have a problem with the ground that hooks to the pump motor coming loose. I opened up the box and tightened that down but that didn't fix my parking lamp issue. I will check the bulb when it gets a little warmer here. Thanks Scott...Thumbs Up

4. 04trd

04trd Senior Member

Check one of the relays. I've had one go on my brand new hd80. Actually three of them just went out so I couldn't tell you what one to check. But what was happening with mine was no right turn signal on the plow and no high beams on the right side of the plow and when I turned the high beams on the low beam on the right side of the truck went on.

5. 04trd

04trd Senior Member

Funny I have a 2013 gmc 2500 as well that was doing the same thing as you are experiencing.thats the one I have a new hd80 hooked up too like I said before. Also my other truck witch is a 2012 gmc 2500 is having the same problem. I messed with the head light adapter that taps into the stock lights and it went away. Check that connection make sure it's plugged in all the way with di electric grease.

6. 04trd

04trd Senior Member

Hey man you get this fixed yet?

7. NTO

NTO Junior Member

No not yet. We had a couple days of warm up....+20 degrees and I didn't have time to get at it. If I had to guess, I'm pretty sure it's going to be a bad connection on my passenger side harness where the adapter goes.

Thanks for the info though.

8. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Any resolution on this? I like to collect incidents like this to share with the tech support guys and dealers at training. Might save someone banging their head against a wall for too long.

9. NTO

NTO Junior Member

Not yet Scott. I did notice the other day that when I turn on my left turn signal my right one blinks on the plow. When I hit the right turn signal, I get nothing from the plow. Are the adapters for the lights side specific? Right and Left? Or doesn't it matter.

10. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Just gets more interesting... The adapters are not side specific - and the purple wire in each adapter just serves as the control for the turn signal relay for each side. When the truck turn signal is on you should hear one of the relays in the relay module clicking. That relay is what is sending power to the plow light.

Listen for the clicking.
    Check all connections for corrosion (or bent pins)
    Swap the headlights (or just the harness) to see if the problem moves with the light or the harness.

I've never heard that specific symptom - I'll look at the schematic tomorrow to see if there is a particular wire to look at. It's curious that it only does it on one side.

11. NTO

NTO Junior Member

Pulled the front of the truck off the other day and traced the problem to the relay box. Relays were all corroded and the harness is not sealed from the elements. Kind of a poor design if I say so myself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  12. 04ram1500

04ram1500 Member

If your plow setup is still under warranty, take it back to the dealer.. Have them move the relay box under the hood near the fuse panel, that will keep it out of the salt and water.

My dealer mounted the relay box behind the front bumper on my last truck, I spent more time taking it apart and cleaning it than it was worth.

In my new truck they mounted it right next to the underhood fuse panel and I have had 0 problems with corrosion and water.. I also suggest taking the relays out every year and coating everything with dielectric grease.