1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Parking Decks

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ImpressPlowing, Oct 9, 2012.

1. ImpressPlowing

ImpressPlowing Member
    from NYC

Just landed a contract for a 600,000 SF parking deck
    whats best liquid calcium chloride or pellets?
    any input is much appericated

2. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

Do a search on this topic, as it was just discussed. if you don't use the correct product, you can cause major failure of the structure...... in time.

3. ImpressPlowing

ImpressPlowing Member
    from NYC

yes, we took the contract from a company who used rock salt for 10 years causing major damage to structure and the decks have been rebuilt

4. JT SNOW

JT SNOW Member

Not to sound like a Richard here....But, how did you "Land" the contract when you don't even know what product you are using on this site????...How did you even price out the job....:eek:

5. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

This sounds really familiar.

OP, you do realize that pellets don't melt snow\ice?

Do you know that calcium chloride is more harmful\damaging to concrete than sodium chloride?

Not to mention, that JT guy has a really good point.

6. ImpressPlowing

ImpressPlowing Member
    from NYC

nice to see everyone is friendly here, i "landed" the contract because they signed at a price that i can afford any ice control product we would like, we service 6 accounts within a 3 block radius so adding 600,000 SQF is a walk in the park. the landlord has previously done the snow removal and ice control themselves and require calium chloride, what i was asking was which do people think would be more efficent

7. JT SNOW

JT SNOW Member

Try CMA........Thumbs Up

8. ImpressPlowing

ImpressPlowing Member
    from NYC

Thanks, do you know what the ratio of rock salt yard to gallons of CMA is?

9. JT SNOW

JT SNOW Member

No.........:salute:

Google CMA and parking decks and do some research.......:salute:

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

11. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

It's a valid question, and not meant to be unfriendly.

And it's been proven to be true, because you don't know the cost of CMA or the rate of application for CMA. Which is the only (close to it) de-icer that does not have chlorides that will not damage concrete or rebar.

Besides, in your second post, you state you took the contract from another contractor that used sodium, and now you say the landlord did it. Maybe just a slip.

The point I was making is that calcium chloride pellets become liquid and cause the melting to occur, so your question is redundant.

12. KYsnow

KYsnow Member

I'm not saying this applies to you...

I"ve been reading post on here for several seasons now and it does get FUNNY and AGGRAVATING and IRRITATING to read post from someone who has "landed" an account only to find out they don't know what product to use or how long the job will take.

These people have a truck that may run for part of the season and they know that snow is white. That's about what they have to offer their communities. Insurance, forget about it. Back-up trucks, forget about it. A back-up plan, forget about it. These type people are a liability to those that use their services and they give the local market a false sense of the general price in a community.

On a positive note they do make even a reasonable well run company look like a fortune 500 company.

So I think you received the frustration of the industry by the way your question was written. I also think the first reply you received questioning you was valid. Your question sounded like this "I just landed an account, should I use a plow truck, bobcat or snow shovel."

13. ImpressPlowing

ImpressPlowing Member
    from NYC

I hear that, not sure of the lingo on here, lol. First season using this site. We are deffinatly not a fly by night company. We plow just over 3 million square feet of lots. We use rock salt but being that this new contract is requiring calcium I was asking if we should use liquid or pellet

14. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Just received prices for the Chicago area;
    Approx $79 per 55 lb bag of CMA. Super Sack 2200 pounds was around $2,700 depending on how many you bought, plus shipping.

Recommended application rate varies between 10-20 pounds per sq ft.

My experience is more like 5-10 and achieved excellent results.
    Great product and recommend buying super sacks and having a dedicated spreader. Word of caution: we dedicated a Salt Dogg 1.5 yard and needed to stuff a rag in the opening between driving to and from the job. The material is smaller that rock salt and tended to leak out.

Good luck this winter!

15. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Where do you get this stuff? Calcium chloride is an ingredient in concrete, the study done by U of M for the Dept. of Transportation found CC almost 20 times less damaging as salt, I can go on and on. We use liquid almost exclusively and have never found any of these things to be true.

16. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Metro

Here is a link to Cryotech product page.
    http://www.cryotech.com/products/pdf/cma_fs.pdf
    As you can see, calcium is about half of the spalling of sodium from their studies. That is about average from all the studies that I have seen over the years.

I still believe it all comes down to proper application technique and training.

17. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

I read a lot.

Next time Michigan Tech performs a study of de-icing chemicals I'll let them know to check with you first.

Here's the summary for you:

http://www.misti.mtu.edu/pdf/projects/SDDOT-Sutter.pdf

18. JT SNOW

JT SNOW Member

Interesting..............:popcorn:

19. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I love the old "CC is an ingredient of concrete" argument. :laughing:

20. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Sorta like air brake endorsements, eh?