1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Parking Brake

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by GLS, Jan 13, 2002.

1. GLS

GLS Senior Member

Someone else brought up the subject of a parking brake, which reminds me that mine isn't working properly...

I have an '89 silverado C-1500 reg. cab shortbed. If I use the parking brake, I notice that it smells afterwards...I'll be parked on a hill, then I drive home and park in the garage. Its rear tires smell like the parking brake had been sticking (I know what it smells like because I followed a tow truck that was towing a car with the parking brake on). I havn't used it for years because of this. How can I fix this problem?

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Because you mentioned "if" you use the parking brake, I suspect you're like me and don't use it that often (I know, I know - bad! :( )

My guess is the cables are getting close to "seizing up", particularly the ones that go to your wheels.

New cables, plus using the parking brake "all" the time, should help with the problem. Since the welding truck I drive at work is a 4-speed, I always use the parking brake on it and have had fewer problems with the cables than with the ones on my (automtatic) '75.

3. GLS

GLS Senior Member

Thanks for the advice...should I go to my dealer or an autoparts store for the cables?

I will probably use it more if it works right! Currently when I park on hills, I just wedge the wheels up again the curb. I would feel much better having a p-brake.

4. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I think the cables are available at any parts outlet, particularly in locations that use road salt: those (expletive deleted) cables seem to have been designed in a non-road-salt-use part of the country, as I mentioned in the other post.

And on your 1500, should be a simple matter to change 'em because access to the brakes is easy.

On a full-floater axle like my C-35 has, it's a more involved operation to get the hub/drum assembly off.