1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Parking Brake

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sdplowing, Sep 8, 2007.

1. sdplowing

sdplowing Senior Member

How do I adjust the parking brake on my '04 2500HD? Right now the parking brake won't even hold back a fart. :help:

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Sean
    There is no adjustment on the HD parking brakes. You must have either a bad or wrong cable. It should when you push the pedal to the floor a bit of pressure on the pedal. If it goes down easy then there is something wrong.

Regards Mike
  3. sdplowing

sdplowing Senior Member

Thanks for the info. The pedal goes all the way to the floor without problem, but doesn't hold the truck. Guess I'm going to the dealer.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Sounds like the cable broke? Is the truck a manual? I have a auto and I wouldn't even think of using the parking break unless my tranny went out or something like blowing a rear end.
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Parking brake is to be used at inspection time only! I sure hopes it pops back afterwards.
  6. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I use my e-brake whenever I park my truck on anything more than a moderate incline. Saves the tranny from havnig to hold 3 tons of truck and keeps me from having to fight to take it out of park.
  7. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

GM had a recall on these, but only if you have a manual tranny! The actuators, and the cables rust prematurely. The auto tranny vehicles use the same setup, but GM got the folks at NHTSA to recall only Manuals, 90% of GM trucks are autos, now doesn't that spell payoff!

In my case they stuck "on" the last time I applied them, and wore the shoes down. I had to buy 2 cables($$$), 2 shoes($$$), and lube the hell out of the actuators(the cam that spreads the shoe apart) to get everything working again.

P.S. I always applied my parking brake(use-it-or-lose-it), and they still rusted stuck. I agree with Grandview - Apply only when being inspected!
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  8. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

i bet its rust in the edrums on the rotors and the material is gone on the shoes. or blown axle seal with oil all over. i see it all the time.
  9. sdplowing

sdplowing Senior Member

My truck is an auto. I found out it didn't work when my truck failed inspection:mad: Sweetk30, I think you may be right. I think I might have a blown axle seal because there is definately oil seeping out one side. BTW how much of a PITA is it to fix a blown seal?

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

if you can do basic work its not that bad. and if you do one just do both now and be done with it. you will need a special socket for the axle hub nuts. and tourqe wrench also to preload the bearings to spec when reinstalling the hub. . then do the ebrake stuff wile the hubs off its lots easyer that way.