1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Parking brake adjustment on 09 Chevy

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by QuadRacer041, Jan 27, 2016.

1. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 Senior Member

I have an 09 Chevy 3500 and i failed inspection for the parking brake. I used to work in automotive field when I was younger so I know some things about brakes...etc....
    The rear baking plate has the cut outs to adjust the star adjuster and when i look in there with a flash light i can't see anything. Do I seriously need to pull the wheels apart and yank the axles to remove the rotors to adjust the ebrake shoes from inside?????

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What was the failure for exactly?

3. QuadRacer041

Not tight enough...would hold the truck

4. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

It should be in there it's offset to side. Have to use a thin glade head my brake spoons never reached them.

It's completely possible the shoes are gone.

5. dieselss

I would take the rotors off and inspect.
    If of remember they are the biggest pitas to adjust on the truck b/c of the springs being in the way. One of gms better ideas.

6. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Is this a SRW? No reason to pull axle shafts out

7. QuadRacer041

Its a dually......I can't even see a star adjuster when i look in the cuts out. and on the passenger side, the cut out is above the axle, making it bee more of a ***** to get too. The axles will have to come out I'm sure.

8. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Why can't you just pull the rotor off?

9. dieselss

In a non HD truck (or full floating rear end) you shouldn't have till pull the axle. However, if the brakes are bad it's usually easier to pull the axle and hub to replace them

10. QuadRacer041

Oh, I'm sorry. It is an HD model, i forgot to mention that. So there definitely are star adjusters? What direction would I need to rate them? Would I rotate the brake spoon/adjusting tool handle up, which would be rotating the inserted end downward or would it be the opposite way?

11. dieselss

Yes there are adjusters. Direction, ya got me.

12. QuadRacer041

Well, i sacrificed a screw driver and bent it to get it in there. I was able to adjust the left side, but no way I can get anything into the right side as the leaf spring shackle is in the way. So as I'm tightening up the left side and testing it to see if it will hold the truck.......snap.......the left rear cable snaps....lovely.

13. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Unhook the cables and make sure the Parking brake arm moves freely on each side. Cables are easy to replace