1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Park kill

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by RBRONKEMA GHTFD, Mar 16, 2011.

1. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Ok, so I am stuck on this one. I am trying to make a park kill so when I am in park my white leds shut off. Also I have to do this for a up coming install on a truck for a guy who is on a local fire dept. Anyone have any idea how to do this? I am sure theres a way with a relay. I just can't figure it out. I thought about going off the DRLS but because those are only on when its light out I really don't want to go that route.

2. captadamnj

captadamnj Senior Member

What kind of vehicle? That would be helpful to give you an idea on options where to pull the low voltage signal for your relay. If the same platform as your sig, I believe you can pickup park/neutral from the ECM but would have to check an electrical guide. You may not want it turning off shifting through neutral, however, so maybe not that exact wire. But you get the idea. Also, I know that factory DVD/NAV systems have a way of sensing park, to prevent watching DVD's while driving, but there is a way to override that to make the head unit think the vehicle is in park. I would assume other vehicles have similar things to tap in to.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  3. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

there is a sensor in the trans harness that also prevents start when not in N or P i would find that...it allows the starter to engage so use that signal to turn on one relay interrupting the flow of power to the white leds.

1 5pin relay with the 87A is what you need. and the wire diagram to find that wire in whatever truck your doing this too.

If your wiring "customers" trucks i think you got it from here right? This isn't novice stuff your doing.

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

One truck is a 03 sierra with the 6.0 the other is my truck with the duramax. Both harnesss' are different. So I'll have to figure out which one to take power from on each truck. I am not doing novice stuff. 1 is a customers I am doing (so far). I'd like to do this more on different vehicles if they ask about it. Or I can offer it to them. Do you have a diagram on how I would wire the relay George?

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Neither truck has a dvd or nav system in them.

6. captadamnj

captadamnj Senior Member

Here is the '03 - '07 Classic upfitter electrical guide -
    http://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/2004_BB/2003_Beyond_LD_Electric_CK.pdf

Pin 31 of the C-3 ECM connector appears to be the park/neutral switch. For a typical 5 pin Bosch style relay, would wire as follows -

87A - Switched and fused +
    30 - Load + (the ligts you want to power)
    86 - Park Trigger Wire (+)
    85 - Ground (-)

There is a constant connection from 30-87A that will give you your typical on. When + is applied to 86, it breaks the 30-87A connection which would turn the load (lights) off. FWIW, pins 85/86 are interchangeable with respect to polarity. So if you find a place to pick up a park signal that is switch (-) instead of (+), you could just as easily use that.

7. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Awesome. I am going to have to play around with this on the bench. I'll let you know how it goes.

8. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

So you will never need the LED's on when your truck is parked on the side of the road or something. Id say just use a switch and turn it off.

9. captadamnj

captadamnj Senior Member

I'm inclined to agree with you. But...

The relay could be used to override the override. :eek:

When the relay coil is energized by completing the circuit between pins 85-86, the internal switch that breaks the 30-87a circuit completes the 30-87 (the 5th relay pin) circuit. So 87 could also be wired to a switched and fused +. When in park (breaking the 30-87a circuit and completing the 30-87), you could now flip the switch wired to 87 to turn them on.

Relays are beautiful things.

:mechanic:

10. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Yeah I just want them off when I am in park because they are clear.

11. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

WORKS!, Thanks a lot.

12. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

sorry for the late post..Great that you got it working... If you also think of a Primary/Secondary switch that works to but since you've got it...RUN WITH IT!!!

13. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Yeah, I had the relay already, and its going to be easier for me as a installer to put it on the customers vehical if they request it and as the vehical goes into park that specific bank of lights goes off.

14. Dissociative

geesh..im away for a little bit and its solved... ;-)

VERY GOOD tech info captadamnj it's nice to see someone else here helping..

No disrespect either RBR what i meant was you seem pretty smart about wires...your no novice...a compliment.

i like the idea of a "primary,secondary" toggle also...on the dash so IF you needed white in park you can have it.....

15. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Not a problem George, I wasn't sure what it ment. HAHA. Thanks.

I do too, but didn't want a triple switch on my switch panel. It'd throw the look off to have 1 odd one on there. I mean I am sure I could find one, but 1 I don't feel like looking and 2 I got my switch panel for about 20 bucks. Some of those switches about about the cost of my swich panel.

16. Dissociative

Doesnt need to be triple, a single works fine. Off would be
    Parkkill while on will override that.

17. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Oh nice, I did not know that.