1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Parasite Battery Drain

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jkxray, Jun 6, 2016.

1. jkxray

jkxray Junior Member

In Feb. I bot an 05 silverado 2500 HD with a 2011 7.5' Super Duty straight blade. Everything hydraulic & mechanical works fine.
    Two electrical problems:
    1) No Hi-beams for truck or plow; Lo-beams work fine. Turning on the Hi-beams blows both fuses in the truck under-hood fuse panel.
    2) Both batteries are dead within a week of sitting idle. With everything shut off and both batteries disconnected, troubleshooting the plow battery with an amp. meter reveals the following drain values: 1.18 amp. to ground; 1.11 amp. to pump motor; 0.37 amp. to relay bank and 1st relay engages; 0.23 amp to relay bank with relay #1 removed.
    Truck battery has a 1.16 amp. drain.
    Removed the plastic protective panel to examine the pump plumbing & wiring, and all looks fine.

Any suggestions/guesses as to what is going on? The current drain to ground is really weird...
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

With both batts disconnected as you say, how can they go dead?
    What happens when you disconnect the plow connectors?
  3. cwren2472

cwren2472 Member

I suspect the two problems are unrelated. My guesses:

** 1) No Hi-beams for truck or plow; Lo-beams work fine. Turning on the Hi-beams blows both fuses in the truck under-hood fuse panel.

That truck has the reversible headlight connectors with the A and B sides. The ones going to the High beam lamps are probably on the wrong side. (If unsure, check the line up of the wires. The wire that is the same color on both the high beam and low beam factory connectors is the common. This wire needs to be lined up the the wire labeled common on the headlight adapter.)

** 2) Both batteries are dead within a week of sitting idle.

If you turn the key off, does the controller still stay lit up when the switch (on the controller) is on? I'll wager it does which means that the ignition fuse wire from the harness isn't going to an ignition fuse and the relay pack is staying energized all the time.

Edit: just reread your description which I'll confess I only glanced at the first time. If the pump motor is truly draining off your battery all the time as you describe, then the only thing I can think of is a defective solenoid allowing power to leach to the motor since the power would have to go through it to get to the plow, but I'll be honest; I don't think I've ever actually seen that happen.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  4. jkxray

jkxray Junior Member

By saying 'both batteries disconnected' I meant for purposes of checking the current drain circuit-by-circuit by pulling fuses, etc.

The suggestions of cwren2472 seem to be on the right track - thank you. Yes, the relay pack is continuously energized, and I'll check the headlight connectors. will be able to get into it later this week, and will report back.
  5. jkxray

jkxray Junior Member

Finally got everything sorted out. Relay pack was connected to a hot source and draining the batteries. Moved it to a keyed source, and batteries now retain their charge. All lights are now working properly after getting the wiring harnesses properly connected. Sloppy installation by someone, so it never could have operated properly...
  6. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

Since it was installed sloppy make sure you got the same size batteries. You don't want one drawing off the other.
  7. jkxray

jkxray Junior Member

Thanks - the batteries have identical properties. One other item regarding the sloppy install, when checking over the undercarriage, one bolt was missing. Since these are all secured with Loctite it is unlikely that it came loose and fell off.