1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Paperwork Help!!

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by born2farm, Apr 11, 2011.

1. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

OK guys. Here is my problem. This is my first year doing everything 100% legal and actually running myself like a professional company. I am doing good as far as marketing and getting the work but I feel that I am lackin in the paperwork side of it. I am very picky and organized but I am not sure that I am keeping all of the appropriate paperwork and have a very good system set up. Anybody care to share a brief summary of how they do theirs? Here is what I do now:

1)Print out estimate.
    2)Keep copy of estimate in a folder for that customer.
    3)When accepted. Give copy of contract to them and keep copy in folder.
    4)When completed I bill and keep a copy of the bill with any receipts for the job attached.
    5)Once the money comes in, the bill is marked paid with cash or a check # and then filed away and a receipt is written. All expense receipts are filed in the expense folder and the copy of the bill is filed in the income folder.
  2. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

Save yourself some paper and make a spreadsheet.
  3. born2farm

What all are you including on a spreadsheet? I use one for all my finanancial records just not to track every job.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

everything sounds well organized, only thing I could suggest would be photocopy the cheque you get and when I deposit them i always deposit them seperatly rather then all togeaher. Its easier to cross reference and audit if there is ever an issue of nonpayment or default payment. I do simlar but without the paper copies... I just save my quotes and scan my signed contracts.
  5. born2farm

Thanks for the input. I am still trying to find a bullet proof system to organizing myself.Thumbs Up
  6. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

depending on your volume of business, get quickbook or another accounting prgram, it will keep track of your income and expenses , also help you track profit and loss , as far as the paperwork (estimates etc....is sounds like you are doing it right)
  7. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

QUICKBOOKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when i started my biz it was all on paper lasted six months before going nuts bought qb and never looked back. it allows you to track and compare EVERYHING